♚04

S E L E N A

Have you ever had that feeling where you are too afraid of something ? Let me rephrase that. Have you ever felt being paranoid about something that wasn't a big deal to you before ?

Because to be honest that's what I'm feeling right now. I feel like I need some space to breath as i was feeling claustrophobic even though it's a damn big area.

"You'll be alright, Sel." Cara said patting my back. If it wouldn't for her, I think I would have fainted right then and there. We were sitting in this chair for hours now. All of the girls who just turned 18 were here and all I can say that each one of them is really pretty. I feel my self-esteem getting low by glancing at all of them. The fact that I'm wearing a beautiful dress that we bought yesterday doesn't help my self-esteem even in the slightest.

They were calling girls one by one in a room so they could interview them. Even though I'm too far from being interviewed, i'm still nervous.

"I feel like shit, Cara. Can we go home already ?" I asked her and she shook her head.

"Are you backing out now ? You're too close. Come on, Sel. Just be yourself and everything will be alright." She calmly said. I looked at her as if she grew another head. How could she be so calm in this situation ?

"Just relax, Sel." She said as if reading my mind. Did I say that out loud ?

"Yes, you did. Now calm down. I can feel your heart beating wildly even though we're sitting next to each other." She said and I sighed. I can do this. For my family. For my mom. For the future of this kingdom. Eh. I think it's for my family only.

"Selena Marie Edwards." A girl called out. I looked at Cara and she was smiling at me.

"Go, Sel. You'll be alright. Just answer everything they ask ." She said and I stood up. The girl smiled at me and I returned the favour.

"Follow me, Miss. The rule is to answer all of the questions and you'll be done then." She said and I nodded. In this particular moment, I can't even trust my voice. I really feel nervous.

"Hey, Selena. It'll be alright." She said and opened the door. She motioned for me to get in as I slightly bow my head to her. I get in and was shocked to see the King there. I immediately bowed down.

"Oh, my dear. No need for that." He said and motioned me to sit down. I nodded and shyly walked to the chair and sit.

"Can you tell me your name, Miss." He asked. I cleared my throat and sighed.

"I'm Selena Marie Edwards." I said and I internally smiled because I sounded confident.

"Okay, why do you want to be the heiress ?" He asked looking at me sternly. Well, that escalated quickly.

"Well, I want to be the next heiress because I want to be an example for everyone. I want to be the voice of those people that are struggling for a living because i'm one of them too. So, if I became the heiress, I want to help all of them." I said. It's like a different way of saying that I want to help my family but I do want to help people, it's my dream.

"Well, I'm impressed Miss Edwards. You're the only one who answered the questions. Almost all the other girls just wanted to see my son. Do you want to see my son ?" He asked. I smiled.