Yamato x Reader: Birthday

•Reader POV•

I lay there I my cell. I'm wrapped up in my sleeping back that the guards give each inmate. It's funny. We either had the choice to sleep on a bed or in a sleeping bag. Sometimes prisoners slept on beds, sometimes they go in their sleeping bags.

"Tonight. You and me." I look at my bed as if challenging it.

'Did I just challenge my bed? Wonder if I'm going mentally insane?' I thought as realization hit me on what I'm doing.

"No.8! Good morning! Breakfast time." Yamato Godai, building 13's deputy supervisor, slams my cell door open.

"Morning Yamato." I say as I sit up.

"I see your still a bit tired. Some breakfast should help. Then after that we can go train. No.99 will be joining us." He said as he threw me in his shoulder.

"No.99- oh yeah! That ninja guy who transferred here last month right?" I asked.

"Yup. He has a passion for training. Joins me every morning." He says as he slams the door open to the mess hall.

"I see." I say as Yamato sets me down at my usual table.

"Wait! What about food!?" I tell with tears in my eyes a so point over where you get the food.

"Don't worry. Shiro made something special for you today. He's even gonna deliver it to you." Yamato smiles that big positive smile he always seems to have on his face.

"Special?" You mumble. Your favourite guard, who also happened to be your best friend, heard you though.

"Yes. It's your birthday today." Yamato pats your head. You flinch as you expected it to hurt. I mean, he doesn't really know his own strength. Surprisingly, it was really gentle. As if he was making sure not to hurt you.

"That's right! That thing a person celebrates every year. I don't understand them." You mumble the last part.

"Huh? Why not?" Yamato asks you.

"I dunno. I just don't think of them as that big of a deal. Like, I'm alive! I get it!" You say sarcastically.

"I honestly don't get why people celebrate a holiday such as a birthday. I know your celebrating the day you were born but still...I don't get it." Something in Yamato's mind clicked.

"(Y/n)," You looked up at the taller man. He only ever saw your name when he wants to be serious. "Have you ever celebrated your birthday before?" You blush bright red and look away.

"No! Why would you get that idea!? It's just....nonsense." You say stubbornly.

"A birthday isn't nonsense. Your celebrating the day you were brought to life. When you really think about it, it's basically a holiday dedicated to only you." You look up at him.

"My birthday...is like my holiday?" You ask yourself in disbelief. You never celebrated your birthday when younger.

You always thought of them as pointless. Yeah you celebrate because of your life but you thought living everyday was enough of a celebration.

"Yes. A lot of people around the world share the same birthday. Weather they're younger or older, even the same age as you, the celebrate it as if it's their holiday. In a sense it is. Now, here comes Shiro with your special food. Then we get to have cake. HAHAHAHAHA!" Yamato laughs.

The food is set done in front of you. It's all your favourite foods. From healthy to not, from big to small, it's all there. (Sorry if I'm making you sound like a pig. Your perfect ❤️)

"Now. Tell me what it is you want for your birthday." Yamato smiles at you excitedly.

You blush and look away.

"Surprise me." You mumble. Yamato nods and joins you in your birthday celebration.

'What I want for my birthday, is for you to acknowledge me as for than a best friend.' You thought as you looked at Yamato.

•The End•