Chapter 126 - The Siege of Kings Landing

Daenerys sat atop her steed and watched as Loki positioned her armies accordingly. Catapults had been set up by the Unsullied and were raining boulders down upon the city. Daenerys winced every now and then when a boulder took out a building or, cleared men off the outer wall. Tyrion noticed her changing expression and reached over, stroking her arm. "What would Loki say if he was standing beside us, rather than among the men?" Tyrion asked.

Daenerys sighed before she said, "He would say that the people who are in the city are necessary casualties; sacrifices for the greater good." Tyrion nodded, giving her arm a good firm pat before he withdrew his hand.

"They could have escaped, but chose to remain and this is the price of remaining in a besieged city," Tyrion told her diplomatically. Daenerys gave him a long sideways glance and the dwarf shrugged his shoulders. "I cannot tell a lie."

"No, you cannot tell a lie that would not benefit you," Daenerys said and Tyrion snickered. That was when Loki came riding up on his black stallion. The sun flashed off his golden, horned helmet, as well as his vambraces.

"The archers on the ships are equipped with wildfire for their arrows. I will have Yara let them fire at will. The Wildlings are anxious to join the fray, but I am still having them work on the battering ram for the Mud Gate. It is weaker than the Kings' Gate. We are distracting them at the main gate, but Jon Snow has been informed his Wildlings will attack from the Mud Gate once the ram is ready," Loki informed his queen and Daenerys nodded.

"How much of a fight are the defenders putting up?" Tyrion queried. Loki grinned a little as he leaned back in his saddle.

"They're firing arrows from the ramparts, but Yara is having her men use their shields and there hasn't been any fatalities, and only one injury. We're too far out of range as of right now, but we will have to take some hits in order to control the Mud Gate," Loki said. Daenerys and Tyrion nodded.

"We must be prepared to spill blood for the greater good. In this case, the individual is merely a spoke on the wheel that turns and runs the machines of war," Tyrion said and Loki agreed, wheeling his horse around.

"Being an immortal, I have seen many wars and many lives lost for the 'greater good'. I'm a skeptic in my heart. I only support what I know to be true. In this case, the continued rule of the Lannisters is not what this world needs. Westeros needs a Targaryen," Loki stated. Of course, he did not say exactly why he needed a Targaryen on the throne. He decided that information should be saved. It would come as a shock to the Westerosi to realize that there were other realms out there, with strange and wonderful inhabitants. They would still terrify the mortals of this world. People from Asgard and Alfheim; hell, even Jotunheim, had longer lifespans than both Westeros and Midgard. The people of Westeros were heartier and more varied, but lacked the interesting individuals Midgard called the mutants. Loki was brought out of his reverie when a lone arrow from the city landed right next to his horse. His head simply turned and looked down at the stray missile. "Oh, my! Where did that come from?" he asked sarcastically and Tyrion rolled his eyes.

"Some over-enthusiastic Lannister, would be my guess," Daenerys said bluntly before she waved the god away. Loki gave her a slight bow as he turned his horse and galloped back down the hill. He came upon Ser Barristan Selmy, Ser Jorah Mormont, Daahrio Naharis, and Grey Worm near the catapults and he swung himself down.

"You haven't used wildfire, have you?" Loki queried as he removed his helmet and knelt down beside the boulder the Unsullied were loading into the cage.

"We haven't been given any orders to do so," Daahrio responded. Loki nodded before he waved his hand over the rock, whispering some words in a foreign language, and the rock was covered in frost.

He stood up, put his hands behind his back and said, "Fire it now." Grey Worm raised an eyebrow, but ordered the other Unsullied to proceed with firing the catapult. The machine of war released its deadly load upon the city. The army watched as the boulder struck the outer wall, bouncing off the stone and landing inside the city. But what held them in awe, was the fact that when it first hit the wall, it froze it. All the soldiers who were standing nearby were frozen where they stood. "Ice magic!" Grey Worm exclaimed. Loki let out a dramatic sigh as he walked down the line, letting his ice coat each and every missile before they were released into the air.

Inside Kings Landing, the people and soldiers were terrified at this new witchcraft. The rocks would land, and ice would spread, taking hold of anything and everything within several yards of it. Humans and animals were frozen where they stood, and if anybody came into contact with them, they shattered into a thousand pieces. "What is going on?" Tywin asked as his brother, Kevan came running up to the Red Keep from the outer wall.

"There is dark magic afoot, my brother! The rocks from the catapults are enchanted, and they freeze everything they touch!" he exclaimed. Tywin growled as he watched the commoners flee. Their screams hung in the air along with the columns of smoke. The dragons had been active over the city, avoiding the archers with ease, and setting the lower levels ablaze.

"Dammit!" Tywin cursed as he spun away from the balcony and joined his brother in returning to the outer walls.

Daenerys and Tyrion rode up to where the catapults were positioned and found that Loki was still there. Not just Loki, but also Rhaegal. The dragon had landed and was now allowing Loki to stroke under his chin. "Good boy! That's it! Burn the bad men down," Loki soothed. It was a second later that he realized the mother of said dragon was a few feet away. He turned his head and grinned at her mischievously.

"Are you positive you've never been to this world before? My dragons only really respond to me," Daenerys said with a smile of her own.

"Absolutely!" Loki said back, before Rhaegal nudged him with his nose. "Alright, you caught me," Loki admitted as he pulled a piece of meat out of thin air and tossed it into Rhaegal's mouth. The dragon growled his approval before spreading his wings and taking off. Tyrion just gaped at Loki, and he was not the only one. Ser Barristan Selmy, Ser Jorah Mormont, Daahrio Naharis, and Grey Worm were still beside one of the catapults, and their mouths were hanging open. Loki noticed and scoffed. "I can see all of you swallowing a bug."

"None of the queen's dragons have ever let anyone but her touch them," Daahrio Naharis said and Loki shrugged.

"Maybe I've picked mine. You did offer me one," Loki said, more to Daenerys. The queen nodded her head and pulled back on the reins of her horse.

"I did indeed, yes. When we win this conflict, you may mark Rhaegal as yours. I give him to you freely," Daenerys said and Loki bowed to her. She waved her hand to Tyrion and they rode out of range of missiles, leaving the warriors to continue the battle.