Chapter 39 - Qarth Respite

"You were gone a long time," Daenerys said to Loki in a rather irritated tone of voice when he returned to her, and found her enjoying the hospitality of the Thirteen of the port city of Qarth. The god smirked, and bowed to her.

"Glad that your meek and humble attitude is departing. I serve a strong queen, and I have finally drawn her out," Loki said. Turning, he admired the dragons in their cages. Stooping down to their level, he looked at them with interest. "The Mother of Dragons. The perfect title," Loki told her.

"And should I still call you Ser Loki Sells-sword?" Daenerys asked. Loki turned back to her and shook his head.

"I am calling myself Ser Loki Frostborn now. It is closer to what I really am," Loki responded as he walked over to her. Daenerys turned and they were facing each other. Loki smirked, and indicated the bed with his hand. Once they were sitting down, Loki queried, "So, what is your plan? I can offer you suggestions and a guiding hand, but I cannot be the soul drive behind this mission."

"Well, at present, we are residing in the house of Xaro Xhoan Daxos, and he will help me speak to the Thirteen so that I might receive the men and ships I need," Daenerys answered. Loki nodded and stroked his chin.

"So, you are just trying to garner support?" Loki posed a second later. Daenerys nodded her head. "Remember, you cross the sea, you will be facing knights, in full armor, on horses. Any soldiers you bring from this realm are going to be inferior in their armory. Therefore, you must compensate with skill and numbers. Of course, this is where my genius comes on. I arrange things in Westeros, and if everything goes according to my plan, you won't have to even fight. You keep the troops you bring from here, and they are added to your forces in your rightful kingdom." Daenerys smiled slightly, before waving one of her Dothraki ladies away. All three of them looked at Loki, and whispered, calling him the Pale Stranger behind their hands. Loki ignored them, and looked back to Daenerys.

"And what exactly are you doing to ensure my rise to power?" Daenerys asked. Loki snickered and leaned back on the mattress, resting on his elbows.

"I already have the three major families tearing at each other. Although, I do technically work for the Starks, I also double for Tywin Lannister. But, Robb Stark knows I am a double agent. Tywin doesn't. Stannis Baratheon? He and his Red Priestess are battling Renly Baratheon," Loki explained. Daenerys nodded her head, before she laughed lightly.

"How many people are claiming to be kings in this conflict?" she queried.

"Joffrey, Stannis, and Renly. Robb just wants to avenge his father, and gain freedom for the North. However, his men are calling him King of the North. And, he has not shunned it," Loki answered. Daenerys' lips pursed together.

"Will he be a problem?" the Mother of Dragons posed next. Loki shook his head, before laying back the rest of the way, staring up at the ceiling.

"No, he will not. I have every confidence that I can manipulate Robb Stark into being your humble servant. There are a few other houses I have not involved yet: the Tyrells (officially, they are technically with Ser Loras on the side of Renly Baratheon), the Greyjoys, and the Martells. I do have plans for the Greyjoys, though, since they have a navy," Loki said. Daenerys looked down at him, admiring the way he seemed so confident in everything he set in motion. When Khal Drogo died, and she lost her baby, Loki had supported her emotionally. She still remembered how she had asked him to lay with her. Loki had told her that he would spend the night with her, but he would not lay with her in the biblical sense, as he put it. He had explained the nuances of his plan to realign the realms, and Daenerys knew she had to be in a sanctioned marriage. Not that she could break that rule anymore. There were no more Targaryens in the world. Daenerys never told Loki, but she was almost hoping that he would be that marriage. As of right now though, she would pretend to be looking for a spouse elsewhere.

"This Robb Stark?" Daenerys asked, and Loki turned his head to glance at her. "Is his realm powerful?" Loki chuckled and sat up again.

He smoothed his hair back and said, "I have already considered a marriage between you and Robb Stark, but unfortunately, I do not see that happening. Robb Stark already has his eyes wandering in a different direction." Daenerys frowned.

"But, as queen, I could compel him," Daenerys suggested, and Loki waggled his finger.

"If there's one thing I don't believe in, it's forced marriages. That's what your marriage was to Drogo. Granted, love did come, but who's to say Robb will feel that way with you?"

"But I must marry somebody from a high an important family in Westeros, if I am to solidify my hold. I must have their forces under my command," Daenerys countered. Loki clapped his hands at this, and the Mother of Dragons' brow furrowed.

"I like this! You're already planning to dominate the next marriage, and the armies that are sure to come with it! Congratulations, Daenerys, my dear. You are officially a mercenary little woman," Loki teased. Daenerys smirked slightly, and leaned over, her fingers gripping his collar.

"I learned from a mercenary man," she told him. Loki stood up, causing her to let go of his collar. He bowed, extending his arm, and grinned.

"Yes, my darling Daenerys, you have learned from the best. Just remember, that the minds of men are not to be broken. They must be made pliable first, and then bent to your will. Once a man's mind is broken, there is nothing to put it back together," Loki counseled her. Daenerys nodded, and that was when Ser Jorah Mormont entered the room. Both Loki and Daenerys turned, and saw the knight, and he stiffened.

"Ser Loki, I didn't know you were here," Ser Jorah said, his hand resting immediately in the hilt of his sword. Loki waved his hand slightly, and smirked.

"I didn't inform you, Ser Jorah. Must I every time I come to visit my queen?" Loki asked.

"I would at least like to know when you are discussing her future as queen. As her personal bodyguard, I am required to know these things," Ser Jorah said. Daenerys sighed, glancing at Loki. Luckily, what Ser Jorah said had not irritated him, and he looked calm as ever.

"It was my fault, Ser Jorah. I did not think to call you," Daenerys said, smoothing over the situation. Ser Jorah bowed to her, before they both glanced back at Loki. "Was there something else you wanted to tell me?" she asked. Loki smirked slightly at this.

"Indeed, there is! I wanted to tell you that I have asked Tyrion of House Lannister to aid us, and he has agreed," Loki said to her. Daenerys' brow went up, and Ser Jorah looked surprised.

"But, the Lannisters would lose everything if the Khaleesi was crowned Queen of Westeros. Are you sure he's not playing you?" Ser Jorah asked. Loki's lips became a thin line as he recalled the last time somebody had 'played' him. He remembered wanting to choke the life out of the Black Widow, but he could not do that. Looking back up at Ser Jorah, Loki shook his head.

"Tyrion Lannister has more to gain from helping us. I told him if he assists me in my work, he will receive Casterly Rock." Ser Jorah frowned.

"But, he's the only other heir of Tywin Lannister, and Jaime Lannister is a member of the Kingsguard. Before the gods, he cannot wed and produce an heir of his own," Ser Jorah said. Loki chuckled, turned his back on them, and looked back at the dragons.

"Except for the part where Tywin has not legally made Tyrion the heir, nor has he put it in his will. Meaning, Jaime still holds all the rights to the Lannister lands. Despite the impediment of his knighthood. Tywin will betray Tyrion, because Jaime is his favorite. Tyrion knows this. Work for me, and he will have what he is entitled to," Loki responded. Glancing over his shoulder at them, his green eyes glittered slightly. "I have a soft spot for cast offs."