Chapter 45 - Sansa's Name Day

Sansa rolled up her sleeves and tied an apron around her midsection. Alfie licked his paws as he sat on the kitchen counter, next to a baking book Sansa had found in the library. She was trying her hand at her favorite dessert: lemon cakes. Loki had brought several bags of the fruit, and presented them to Sansa. So far, she had seen lemon pudding, a lemon bread, lemon slivers dipped in icing, and lemon wine. Sansa had asked Loki about lemon cakes, and he told her that they would taste sweeter if she prepared them. After he said that, Sansa searched high and low for something to help her. Now, she was getting ready to prepare something for the first time in her life. "I can do this, Alfie. I know I can!" Sansa told the kitten.

'Meow!' was Alfie's only response. Sansa smiled and nodded her head.

"Thank you for your support," Sansa said, and she took out the flour. Mixing the ingredients was hard. Sansa's mathematics was not very strong, so she had to try to match the measurements from the spoons and cups to the writing in the recipe. When she was finally putting them all in the same bowl, Sansa got a masher, and began to beat them together. She liked the way the mixture took on a golden yellow hue. Once she was done with the batter, she went to the cupboard, and pulled out a bag of lemons. When she shifted the weight to make it easier to carry, the top opened, and the lemons spilled out onto the floor. "Oh, no!" Sansa cried, reaching for them, and only making the mess worse. "Well, isn't this just wonderful?!" Sansa growled as she put the sack on the table, and stooped to pick up the excess lemons on the floor. "Probably bruised," she muttered to herself. Sansa gathered the lemons and placed them on the table. Sansa grabbed a knife and began to peel them. The skins came off, and Sansa kept them. She remembered Loki saying that lemon skins were good for flavoring. Sansa was almost done peeling the last lemon, when she was startled by the door opening and closing rather loudly. The knife slipped, and she cut herself across the palm of her hand. "Ouch!" Sansa cried out. Alfie's eyes glowed green as he meowed loudly. That was when Sansa looked up, and saw Loki standing in the doorway.

"Are you alright?" he asked her. Sansa shook her head, and held out her hand to him.

"You surprised me, and I was peeling lemons for lemon cakes. I accidentally cut myself," Sansa said. Loki put his cloak down, and walked over. Taking her hand in his, he admired the ruby color of her blood on her pale skin. Without glancing at her, Loki brought her palm to his mouth, and sucked the excess blood. Sansa gasped as his cool lips touched her skin. Sansa felt his tongue slightly, and a shiver went down her spine. A second later, Loki raised his head to look at her. His mouth was red, as were his teeth when he smiled at her slightly.

"It'll be better in no time," he told her. Sansa looked down at her hand and gasped when she saw the cut was closing up. A second later, only a pale line revealed that she had any injury at all.

"How did you-?" Sansa started to ask before Loki interrupted her.

"I'm a sorcerer. It only requires a simple spell to heal a cut," Loki told her. Glancing around her, he saw the beginnings of her lemon cakes on the counter behind her. "Ah! I'll leave you to it then." Sansa watched as Loki left the room.

"It's for my name day!" she suddenly called out, and Loki put his head back in. Sansa looked down at her feet, and brushed her apron lightly. "I've been here so long that I almost lost track of all time. Luckily, I was able to use an astronomy book from the library to calculate the month and day. Today is my name day." Loki smirked, resting his arm on the frame of the door.

"And have you figured out how long you've been with me thus far?" Loki posed. Sansa nodded. She left the kitchen, and Loki followed her. Upon entering her chamber, he saw a scroll hanging on the wall with tally marks on it. A lot of tally marks.