Chapter 24 - Backlash

Loki returned to Kings Landing, and asked to speak with Lord Eddard Stark. He was told that he had gone into the city with Jory and a few other Stark men on a personal mission. Growling, Loki used his locater spell to find the Hand of the King. He was surprised and not surprised to find that he was in Petyr Baelish's brothel. Teleporting himself there, he was just in time to see the Starks come out of the house, and realize that they were surrounded by Lannister men. Loki saw that Ned Stark was facing off against Ser Jaime Lannister. Loki sprinted forward, his body coming in between the two men. Of course, their eyes popped, and they wondered where he could have come from. "Gentlemen! I'm sure we can come to some sort of peaceful agreement," Loki suggested. Ned Stark frowned slightly, while Jaime Lannister snickered.

"Peaceful? His wife took my brother hostage for no reason," Jaime challenged.

"No reason? He was taken by my command. To answer for his crimes," Ned said, and Loki immediately put his hand on his chest, silently telling him to keep his mouth shut. Ned's eyes flickered over to him, and Loki shook his head. Loki looked back at Jaime Lannister. The knight had drawn his sword, as did all his men.

"Come, Stark. I'd rather you die with sword in hand," he challenged.

"If you threaten my lord again-!" Jory started to say before Jaime cut him off.

"Threaten? Oh, I don't threaten lightly. I'm going to open your master from balls to brain, and see what Starks are made of," Jaime said. Loki glanced between the two men, his mind working to diffuse the situation.

"If you kill me, your brother's a dead man," Ned said calmly in response. Loki wanted to bury his face in his hands. Both men were not helping at all!

Jaime smirked, and said, "You're right. Take him alive. Kill his men. Oh, and if you get the sells-sword, you'll be rewarded handsomely."

"Don't make this messy," Loki told him.

"Oh, but we both thrive on messy," Jaime said. At that moment, several of the Lannister men advanced, and Jory drew his sword. Loki did not reveal any of his knives, and instead, batted a spear to the side when one of the Lannister men tried to stab him with it. Loki punched him in the chest, and sent him flying backwards into a few other men. Loki turned and saw Jory trying to take on Jaime. He was, however, stabbed in the eye for his trouble. Loki stared for a split second, before Ned Stark challenged the knight. Loki glanced over his shoulder and saw two Lannister men trying to get him from behind. Loki did a back flip over them, and then a high kick, that whacked the one in the side of the head. He hit the ground hard, and the second guard turned. This time, Loki had a knife in his hand. It was driven up hard and deep under his armor, piercing his intestines, and perforating his liver. The man spat out blood, and Loki withdrew the knife from his stomach. Turning, he was just in time to see a knight get Stark from behind, stabbing him through the thigh. Loki waved his hand, and all the knights, including Jaime, were forced away from Ned Stark. Jaime made another attempt to step forward, but Loki came between him and the Hand of the King. The bloody dagger was pointed at Jaime Lannister. The Kingslayer frowned deeply, and instead of fighting Loki again, he killed the guard who had just stabbed Ned Stark. Turning back to face Loki, he grinned. "You picked the wrong side, sells-sword," he told him. Loki snickered, pausing to admire the ruby color of the blood as it dripped off his knife.

"I'm known for that," he responded. Jaime nodded, and backed up, returning to his horse. Loki made sure that all the Lannister men returned with their master, before he looked back to Ned Stark. All his men were dead, bleeding out in the dirt of the street. "Come on. We need to get you back to the palace," Loki said as he made his dagger disappear, and helped Ned to his feet. The Hand of the King gave the sells-sword a look.

"Why did you do that?" he asked. Loki gave him an irritated sideways glanced, before he focused on the long walk back to the keep.

"Well, if it makes you feel better, I didn't do it for you."

Sansa was sitting in the solar of the Stark suite, and Arya came running up, followed by Septa Mordane . "Father was attacked!" Arya exclaimed, and Sansa pricked her finger with the needle. Again, the skin was not broken, nor blood drawn. She put her stitchery down, and leapt to her feet.

"Is he alive?!" Sansa asked, breathing hard. Septa Mordane gathered the girls together, and shushed them.

"It's alright, he's alright. I heard that Petyr Baelish called for the city watch," Septa Mordane told the girls. Sansa breathed a sigh of relief, thanking the gods that he had been there.

"I heard that Ser Loki fought the Lannister men, and was the one who defended Father from the Kingslayer!" Arya cried, and Sansa's blue eyes widened. Why had Loki been there? Why had he saved her father? Septa Mordane frowned at the mention of the sells-sword's name, and she shook her head.

"You shouldn't listen to servant's gossip, my lady," Mordane scolded. Arya frowned, and raised her eyebrow at their nurse.

"And where did you get your information?" she challenged. Septa Mordane spluttered for an instant, before she muttered something about going to get them some milk of the poppy to calm down. She disappeared, leaving the two girls alone. Arya sat down next to Sansa, and the older Stark girl rewarded her sister with a slight smile.

"That sounds like something the sells-sword would say," she told her.

Arya grinned at the compliment, before she said, "Loki. You know he wants us to call him Loki. Why don't you call him that anymore?" Sansa looked down at her embroidery, knowing she could not tell her sister what Petyr Baelish had said to her. Sansa was not so naïve as to not know what the punishment was for a maiden who was suspected of losing her virtue. Especially to someone of such low rank. Even though Loki carried himself like he was royalty. The whole palace hypothesized that he was in fact a royal bastard. Not one of Robert's, it was impossible. But they said he might possibly be the natural son of one of the Targaryens! Sansa shook her head, and glanced back at her sister, before going back to her sewing.

"Things change."