Chapter 46 - Disquiet

"The shipment is gone! The food that you promised me, Lord Baelish, is gone!" Joffrey shouted, throwing a cup of wine at the noble. Petyr Baelish was able to avoid it and quickly bow to the king.

"My apologies, your grace. I had no idea those ships were so unsafe. If I had, I would have chosen a different method. But, we are running out of options," he said. Joffrey's glaring eyes shifted from him, to Tyrion and Cersei sitting on either side of him. Cersei's expression was pinched, while Tyrion's was tired. Bronn was standing behind Tyrion, looking bored.

"There have been whisperings, your grace, saying that a strange man was spotted on board the ships before they sunk. A cloaked and hooded man, who mysteriously appeared and disappeared," Lord Varys pointed out, and Joffrey gripped the arm of the iron throne.

"Loki! That cunt! I have called for his head, offered a reward, and still nobody can bring him to me?!" Joffrey demanded.

"Forgive us, my liege, but he has proven most elusive," Baelish said, internally cursing the god if he had indeed been behind the sinking of those ships.

"Do the people know that those ships contained the much needed supplies?" Cersei asked. The nobles looked at each other, and Grand Maester Pycelle heaved loudly. Tyrion glared at him, and the maester jumped a little. His beard was several inches shorter because he had displeased Tyrion, and he did not want to feel Tyrion's wrath again.

"Somehow the news has spread throughout the city that the ships that sunk were carrying food. They are saying the ships sunk from the incompetence of the crew. Others are saying the seven are punishing the king because..." Pycelle's voice vanished, and Joffrey shot him a look.

"What? What are the people saying?!" he snapped. Pycelle cleared his throat, but Petyr Baelish beat him to it.

"They are saying that the gods are punishing you because you are illegitimate. Which nobody here believes!" He added that last part to protect himself when Joffrey shot him a murderous look.

"That somebody spreading rumors is Loki! Isn't it?!" Joffrey challenged.

"There is no proof-" Tyrion started to say, before Cersei cut him off.

"Of course it's Loki! Who else would it be?! Don't believe him, my son. That cruel man is trying to turn people against their king," Cersei soothed. Joffrey chewed on his lip and picked at the arm of the throne.

"Of course he is lying. I am Joffrey Baratheon, eldest son of Robert Baratheon; King of the Andals, and the First Men; the first-"

"Blah, blah, blah!" said a voice, and everyone looked up. From around one of the pillars, Loki appeared. He snickered at them, revealing his perfect teeth.

"Ser Meryn! Hound!" Joffrey ordered, and the men moved quickly from the dais. Loki vanished behind the pillar once again, and they both closed in on him from opposite sides. However, when they rounded the pillar, there was nobody there. A chuckle was heard from across the hall, and Loki's shadow slipped around another pillar. Ser Meryn moved in, while the Hound waited. The shadow vanished, and Ser Meryn paused in his advancement. At the dais, Petyr Baelish and Lord Varys had moved closer to the throne, as if being near Joffrey somehow made them safer. Bronn remained by Tyrion's side, but his hand was on his sword. He knew better than to use it against his master's partner, however. Ser Meryn turned around to face the Hound again, but that was when he got punched in the chest by Loki. The force of the blow pushed his armor in, and sent him flying across the throne room and into the opposite wall. Cersei gasped, having never seen Loki reveal his strength before. Loki spun around and ducked, avoiding the sweep of the Hound's sword. The two were looking at each other: the Hound frowning, and Loki grinning. His leg went out, and caught the Hound's. Sandor Clegane lost his balance, and Loki jumped up. His legs wrapped around the Hound's neck and shoulders, easily taking him down to the ground. Loki jabbed him in the neck, knocking him unconscious. Standing up, he dusted himself off, and straightened his clothes.

"I think you need new staff," Loki commented, before he started approaching the throne. Tyrion winked at Bronn, signaling him to go forward so that Joffrey and Cersei would not get suspicious. Bronn did advance, and Loki simply waved his hand. Bronn fell asleep, collapsing to the ground. They all gasped, and looked at Loki as he placed his foot on the lowest step of the dais. "How's the rationing going? Are the people responding well to the lack of sustenance?" Loki asked. Cersei and Joffrey leaned forward in their seats and Loki smirked.

"You stole our food, and you have the audacity to appear before us?" Cersei asked angrily. Loki paused and his brows furrowed in confusion.

"Well, yes," he responded simply. It was all Tyrion could do to keep from chuckling. Loki began to pace, waving his hand, and magically conjuring an apple. Taking a bite, he turned back to them. "By the way, don't bother writing to Tywin of my insolence. He won't believe you."

"I don't know what spell you have him under, but I will break it!" Cersei threatened and Loki snickered.

"Oh, no spell. I can assure you, queen mother. He is simply very well aware that both you and Joffrey are spiteful, hateful, and selfish people. Tywin can come to his own conclusions," Loki answered as he took another bite. He threw the apple and it landed at Joffrey's feet. The angry, little king was about to kick it away, when Loki snapped his fingers, and the apple turned into a snake. Joffrey and Cersei stiffened as the little green serpent flicked its ruby red tongue at them. It opened its mouth, revealing pearl white fangs. Loki's eyes narrowed drastically, and his jaw tightened. "One false move from you, Lannisters, and I will remove you as players from this game." He made it sound like he was including Tyrion in that, only for his protection. They both knew that if Tyrion was suspected of being in collaboration with Loki, his head would come off faster than the snap of Loki's fingers. Loki waved his hand, and the serpent dissolved. Joffrey breathed again, and Cersei shot Loki a fearful look. Loki's green eyes sidled over the Baelish, and saw that Littlefinger was glaring at him with all his might. Well, if looks could kill... Loki thought to himself.

Loki turned around, walking passed the still unconscious Hound, and the struggling Ser Meryn. Glancing over his shoulder, he grinned, and vanished in a tornado of smoke. Loki reappeared outside the Red Keep, in disguise. Glancing around at the listless populace, he smirked. He would wait for things to explode, then he would bring good luck to the city once again. The fuse was lit. Now, it was time for the explosion.