Chapter 42 - One Last Student

Shireen Baratheon was sitting in her room, pouring over her books. She could hear the waves crashing on the rocky cliffs from her window, and the sound of the wind as it whistled through the turrets. She was sitting before her fire brazier, her legs crossed, and the book resting on her knees. Her blond hair was partially tied off, and a few strands were resting on the edges of the pages. Shireen did not know what alerted her as to the presence of a stranger in her room, but she looked up and saw Loki standing before the door. Loki was rather surprised when she remained absolutely calm. "Who are you?" she asked. Loki chuckled lightly, walked over to her, and sat down beside her on the floor.

"I am Loki. I heard about the intelligent Princess Shireen Baratheon, and I had to meet this beautiful lady for myself," Loki said to her, and Shireen smiled.

"You don't have to be kind to me because my father's the king," she told him. Loki shook his head, and removed the book from her hands, closing it, but holding her position with his finger.

"I did not say it because you're father's the 'king'. I said it because it's true. I know why you think you're not beautiful," Loki said, and his hand went out. Shireen started to shrink away, but he shushed her gently. His fingers lightly touched her cheek, where Shireen had been struck by Grey Scale when she was small. It made half of her face look like a serpent's hide. Loki smiled at her. "It's because you look at yourself through the eyes of others. They see a little child, and their judgment is clouded by pity. I see a young girl, with the knowledge to put half the realm to shame. Do not look through their eyes, Shireen. You can restrict your own ability to expand and grow that way," Loki told her. Shireen looked up at him, and she smiled slightly. Loki did likewise, and gave her back the book. That was when he also pulled another book about the Nine Realms from inside his vest. "Here. This is for you." Shireen Baratheon took it, studying the worn binding, and the beautiful edges of the Norse runes. She looked back up at him, and Loki was leaning back, his shoulders resting against her bedside.

"Why are you taking an interest in me? We've only just met," Shireen said. Loki laughed lightly, and opened the book for her. Shireen watched as he turned to a colorful picture, depicting many strong looking people, in a golden throne room. His fingers lingered over the shadow of a man in green in the corner.

"Because nobody took an interest in me. Save for one. And she is gone now. I have a feeling she would be irritated that I neglected to nurture such a promising girl like yourself," Loki said. Shireen looked down at the picture, and pointed to the shadow man in the corner of the painting.

"Is this supposed to be you?" she asked. Loki's chuckle was deep, and he skooched a little closer to Shireen.

"Yes, that is me. Always cast aside, not considered, or loved." Shireen glanced over at him, as she had heard the sadness in his voice. He was looking at the picture, and his hand had encompassed hers. They looked at each other, and Loki kissed her forehead.

"We've only just met," Shireen reminded him, her voice so quiet, she might as well have been a mouse. Loki smirked, and placed the book entirely in her lap. Standing up, he bowed deeply to her.

"I don't believe in love at first sight, princess. But, I do believe in kindred spirits," Loki told her kindly. Shireen Baratheon looked down at the picture of the lonely prince, before she looked up. Loki had disappeared!

Loki teleported to the beach, his back turned towards the burnt corpses. Resting his chin in his hand, Loki considered the situation that was before him. He had made the offer to Stannis Baratheon to assist him in giving Daenerys the throne, just so that he could refuse. Loki was not foolish. Stannis was too proud to give up his claim to the throne. Also, with this Melisandre whispering in his ear, and her claws deep in him, Loki knew she would convince him to stand his ground. Loki had approached them, and made them the offer as a formality. He knew they would not accept. He smirked as he brushed the sand from his fingers. That way in the eyes of the people, when he took Stannis out of the game, he would be validated. It was all about manipulating people into accidentally making themselves the bad guys. Loki was not the villain in this world. Here, he was their savior.

Loki reappeared before Stannis, Ser Daavos, and Melisandre, along with other members of their council the next day as promised. They all gasped when he appeared, and Loki smirked. The firelight glinted off bits and pieces of his golden armor as he approached the head of the table where Stannis was sitting. "So? Have you taken time to consider my proposal?" he asked. All eyes turned to Stannis and Melisandre. Stannis cleared his throat, and his finger tapped on the arm of his chair. Loki knew that little tick. It was a sign that Stannis was not fully sure in the words he was about to say.

"I am the King of Westeros. Not some Targaryen across the Narrow Sea with no army. So what if she 'has' dragons? She is no threat to me, and if you think you can intimidate me into joining you, you are sorely mistaken," Stannis said. Loki raised his eyebrow slightly, and he had to hold back his smirk. Melisandre stood up, and she stood before Loki.

"However, you are most welcome to join us; and if you aid King Stannis, you shall be rewarded. If you serve the Lord of Light, he will give you what you've always wanted," Melisandre told him.

Loki grinned, and leaned in to whisper in her ear, "He doesn't know what I want."

"Recognition," Melisandre responded. Loki stiffened shortly, and glanced at her, his expression slightly murderous. "To be the one to be praised for your actions, rather than have somebody else have all the glory. Isn't that what happens normally?" Loki looked like he was going to kill Melisandre right there. However, he was able to keep his response low, and delivered it in a controlled tone of voice.

"Keep talking, witch. Your grave is getting deeper." Melisandre smiled, and her hand went out. When her hand touched his skin, Loki gasped. She felt like she had a fever, her skin was that hot. Melisandre also felt like he was dead. His skin was cold. Loki pulled away from her, and took a step back.

"The Lord of Light will protect me," she responded. Loki snickered dryly.

"If I want you, nobody can protect you." He turned back to the council, and walked back around the map table. "You have made your choice. I will tell you that we will cross paths again. And know that if you are not with me, you are against me." Loki vanished slowly from the council chamber. Of course, he could not leave without saying something that was sure to frighten them. "And it's not good to be against me." The council chamber went still, and Loki snickered as he finally vanished from the room. But his voice seemed to echo off the walls. "Eheheh!"