Chapter 117 - Fiery Red in a Night of Black

Jon Snow did not like having Stannis and his forces at the Great Wall. He especially disliked having Melisandre around. "She gives me the willies," he said as he met Loki on the wall, looking down over the lands of the Far North. Loki hummed before he looked up at the night enshrouded sky. He was wearing a black trench coat with a fur trim. He did not really need to wear it, being Jotun and all, but he felt like putting something on. Jon Snow was in his black cloak with a fur trim and his hand on the hilt of Long Claw. Ghost was beside him, having ridden up with Jon in the elevator. The wolf had taken quiet a shine to Loki and the god was more than happy to scratch the canine behind his ears. "He likes you. That doesn't happen very often," Jon Snow pointed out dryly. Loki nodded as he gave Ghost's ear a gentle tug and immediately soothed the wild beast by scratching him under his chin.

"I have a thing for wolves," Loki admitted, thinking of his eldest child, Fenris: the Hell Hound. When he reconnected the worlds, he was seriously considering bringing him over. The Starks would worship him. "Although, my familiar usually takes the form of a cat."

"A familiar?" Jon asked, genuinely confused.

"It's a sorcerer's term for an animal they can transfer their consciousness into. The animal must be close to the sorcerer's personality, otherwise it won't work. Cats are mysterious and naturally associated with witchcraft. Dogs, and therefore wolves, symbolize protection and loyalty. I had a wolf back on Asgard. A big creature with black fur and green eyes. He was all mine and I loved him," Loki said, his mind wandering to the days when he played with Fenris in the fields. Jon Snow actually saw his expression become nostalgic and he was curious.

"What happened to him?" he queried. Loki stiffened as he thought of the fate of his son. His innocent son!

"He was chained in a pit and a sword was forced through his lower jaw," Loki said darkly.

"A befitting fate for a tool of Ragnarok," said a voice and Loki and Jon looked up. Melisandre was standing a few feet away from them, her red hair billowing in the icy winds.

"That myth has never had any footing in fact! Let me guess... your Lord of Light told you this," Loki stated and Melisandre smiled slightly.

"He's told me many things. And since you've become a nuisance, many of it was about you, Loki Laufeyson," Melisandre responded.

"That's supposed to frighten me? Calling me by my name? How about I return the favor? Melisandre of Asshai, slave by birth and witch by choice," Loki countered. Jon had backed up but Ghost was staying by Loki's side. The wolf was baring his fangs at Melisandre, and only left when Loki snapped his fingers and waved him away. Ghost went back to Jon Snow, who just remained where he was, waiting to see the outcome of this battle. "You were born several centuries ago on the continent of Essos, and when the Lord of Light offered you the chance for immortality, you took it. Just like a mortal; to crave and aspire for something they were never meant to have," Loki hissed. Melisandre grinned as she raised her hand. Flames burst to life in her palm and Loki raised his eyebrow. Melisandre had never showed such power before.

"The Lord gave me some of his flames to do his work. He said that he was to use you, but you're tiring me personally. You hamper my work, and my work is for him. Once I've killed you, I will fetch your lover," Melisandre said and Loki felt his anger rising inside him like a cold tide. "I will bring her before the Lord of Light and he will make her his. Mark her and burn his lust into her pale skin," Melisandre informed him. Loki could feel his wrath beginning to spout like a cold flame inside him. He did not even realize that he was in his Jotun form as he charged Melisandre, a dagger of ice in his hand. She conjured up a ball of flames in her hand and they collided. Jon Snow was knocked backward by the force and Ghost curled up beside him. Loki sensed both their fear of the current situation and he did the one thing he knew he had to do in order to keep the fight from injuring unnecessary people. He grabbed hold of Melisandre and tumbled over the side of the wall.