Chapter 29 - Calling the Banners

Robb Stark was furious! Joffrey Baratheon, the new King of Westeros, had taken his father, and his sisters hostage, and was demanding that Robb come to Kings Landing, and swear his fealty to him. "He dares to put my father behind bars, and now he wants his ass kissed?" Robb challenged when the Maester Luwin told him the news. They were in the great hall in the castle of Winterfell, and Bran was sitting at the table, being taught his lessons. Be looked between the maester, and his brother and Ser Rodrik Cassel, who had lately returned with their mother. "Call the banners," Robb said.

"But my lord? Is that wise?" Luwin asked.

"They've sworn to protect and serve my father, have they not?" Robb queried. Ser Rodrik nodded. "With him in Kings Landing, they serve me now. We're going to free my father and my sisters," Robb said. A clapping reached their ears, and they turned. Loki was walking towards them, a mischievous grin on his face.

"Loki!" Bran exclaimed joyfully. He leapt up from the table, and darted around his brother, and the maester, out of reach of Ser Rodrik. Loki knelt down and embraced the boy, holding him tightly, and kissing him lightly on the side of the head. The protection spell was transferred instantly.

"What are you doing here, sells-sword?" Robb asked, signaling for Ser Rodrik to take his hand away from his blade. Loki stood up, picking Bran up as he did so. The boy leaned his head against Loki's and they both glanced at Robb Stark.

"I'm here to offer my assistance in the coming war," Loki said nonchalantly, like he was inviting Robb for luncheon. The eldest Stark boy's eyebrow went up.

"War? How to know there will be a war?" Robb queried. Loki snickered and began to make a roundabout way to the table.

"Because I know how you and the Lannisters hate each other. Joffrey is selfish prick, who would sooner cut your father's head off, than see him return to the North to raise an army. He, and his mother, will seek to wound you, humiliate you, and watch you cower with your tails between your legs," Loki said, finally arriving at the table, and putting Bran back where he had been. Turning around to face Robb, he made his way over to the chair where the head of House Stark was supposed to sit. Resting his hand on the arm, he continued, "Winter is coming. Isn't that what you always say? Well, maybe you should change the saying to 'War is coming.' Because it is. Call your banners. That's the smart thing to do. You mobilize your forces, and the only person who has an army at the ready to face yours, is Tywin Lannister."

"You seemed very well informed," Ser Rodrik Cassell challenged, and Loki rolled his eyes.

"It's my job. If I'm not informed, I don't have the advantages I seek. And I would be as useless as you are," Loki finished. Ser Rodrik's face colored, and he reached for his sword. Loki's hand went out, and he froze, unable to move a muscle. Robb, Maester Luwin, and Bran stared wide eyes as Ser Rodrik stood as still as a statue.

"What are you?" Maester Luwin asked. Loki's green eyes moved over to him, and a slight smirk appeared at the corners of his mouth.

"I am something this world is finally ready for."

"Don't listen to him!" said a raised voice, and everyone turned to see Catelyn Stark walking towards them. The look on her face was one of intense anger. Loki grinned and took a step back as she made her way over to him. Loki knew what she was going to do, but he was going to wait. Catelyn Stark drew her hand back, and when it started to come forward, Loki caught her wrist. Ser Rodrik Cassell drew his sword this time, but Loki waved his hand, sending him flying back against the wall. Catelyn looked into Loki's eyes, and he looked into hers.

"If there's one thing I can't stand, its humans with unnecessary grudges. You, Catelyn Stark, are one such person. What did I do to make you hate me? Spend time with your children?" Loki posed, and Catelyn looked over at Bran. The boy was watching his mother and his friend with trepidation. "Because you were certainly doing a marvelous job with that."

"Enough!" Robb Stark ordered, and Loki let go of Catelyn. Maester Luwin walked up, and pulled the lady away from the sells-sword. Robb's eyes moved from the still dazed Ser Rodrik, to the calm Loki. "You're as powerful as you hint to be?" Loki snickered as he admired his fingernails.

"I'm more powerful than anything your realm has ever since in its entire history," was his suave answer. Robb walked over to where he was standing, and they were soon looking each other in the eye.

"You swear your loyalty to my family?" Robb asked. Loki chuckled and shook his head slightly.

"I don't work for you when I help you. Know this, Robb Stark, I am in this war purely to eliminate the Lannisters, and for other reasons I can't reveal at this present moment. But, be assuaged that I would never sell myself to them. You might hear some rumors that I work for Tywin Lannister, but that is only because he is the real problem that I will have to remove when I get a chance. And the only way I'm going to do that, is to get close to him. So! Now that we have the nitty, gritty details out of the way, do we have an accord?" Loki asked, his hand out to Robb Stark. Robb glanced back at his mother and brother. Catelyn Stark subtly shook her head no, while Bran Stark was obviously bobbing his head yes. "My arm is getting tired," Loki told him in a bored tone of voice. Robb Stark turned back, and took Loki's hand. They shook on it, and Catelyn Stark exhaled rather loudly.

"Let Ser Rodrik Cassell, and Maester Luwin be our witnesses before the Seven. You have not sworn an oath of loyalty to House Stark, but have given us assurance that you would never aid our enemies. If you even think of breaking that pledge, may the Seven find you, and strike you down," Robb Stark warned. Loki had to grin slightly at this.

They would have to catch me in the act, Loki thought to himself. "Good! I am glad there is one Stark who can be reasonable," Loki said as he and Robb dropped their hands.

"Hey!" Bran said, obviously insulted by what Loki just said. Loki chuckled, and walked over to the table. Leaning across, he chucked Bran under the chin.

"Of course, when I say that, I mean the adults in the family." Bran smiled again, and Loki winked. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to return to Kings Landing and make some trouble. With Robert Baratheon dead, I have nothing to hold me to that city. I will visit you again soon," Loki said to Robb. With that, he disappeared in a small tornado of green smoke. The Starks, Maester Luwin, and Ser Rodrik just stared at where he had been standing.

"What is he?" Ser Rodrik asked.

"There are legends of warlocks and wizards in our past. Some of their powers were described, but none of them seemed as formidable as Ser Loki Sells-sword," Maester Luwin said.

"Weren't the Seven Gods once described at having powers like him?" Bran suddenly asked, making everyone look back at him. "In the old stories when the Seven used to walk among us, they were said to have the abilities to stop a man from doing something evil. They could create fire, ice, and are even said to have the strength of a hundred men," Bran said, recalling the ancient myths about the Seven. Catelyn shook her head.

"Loki is not a god! The gods are unselfish, and nurture us. He only cares for himself," she said, and glanced at her eldest son.

"But, Mother, he has offered to help us. I don't really trust him, but he has no love for the Lannisters, which means at least on that front, we agree. Whenever we deal with him, you must not be present," Robb ordered her.

"I am your mother," Catelyn reminded him.

"And in Father's absence, I am Warden of the North," Robb countered, and Catelyn became quiet. Even though she did not want to admit it, Robb was most likely in the right. With Loki so entrenched in the Lannister camp, he was a worthy, and necessary ally. At least until they got Ned and the girls back.