Chapter 10 - Facing Down the Prince

Loki was in need of a bath the day after they arrived in a dingy little town. Robert Baratheon decided that an afternoon hunting was a lovely way to spend the time. Again, he wanted to take Loki, but the sells-sword refused. And this time, he gave the real reason. Robert Baratheon let go. Everyone wondered why, but nobody saw Loki using his magic to convince the king to let him go.

Loki went to the river, and hid behind an outcropping of rocks that bordered it. Loki looked around to see if anybody was in the near vicinity. Seeing nobody, he began to remove his clothing. His boots were put neatly to one side, followed by his jacket, vest, and undershirt. Once Loki's trousers were off, he dived into the river. The water was frigid, but to a Frost Giant, it was rather refreshing. Loki resurfaced after a second, and shook the water from his eyes. Swimming around for several moments, Loki began to scrub himself carefully. Unlike these people, he was going to exercise good hygiene. Once he was satisfied with his physical cleanliness, Loki climbed out of the river. He conjured a towel, and began to dry himself. He was starting to do his hair, when he heard voices cut through the serenity. Getting curious, and glancing around the rock, he saw Sansa walking towards him with Joffrey. Loki could feel his throat constrict for a second, but he decided to brush it off. Unless they disturbed him, he would mind his own business. Loki had put his trousers and boots on, when he heard the sound of bickering. Looking back over the rock, he saw Arya arguing with Joffrey, with Sansa and a strange boy standing by. "This girl is asking for trouble," Loki muttered as he stepped out from behind the rock. "Hey!" he shouted, his voice unnaturally loud. Everyone turned to look at him, and Loki put his hands on his hips. Sansa blushed a little, as he was still without his shirt. Arya, on the other hand, was fascinated by the scar on his chest, denoting where a serious wound had been.

"How dare you interrupt your prince?" Joffrey asked. Loki burst out laughing, slapping his thigh. Arya smiled, seeing the humor for a moment; while Sansa thought he was mad.

"My prince? Please! I serve your father. He pays my fee, you don't. Until you give me the coin, I don't have to listen to you," Loki said. Joffrey walked up to him, drawing his sword, and leaving it lowered at his side. Loki's green eyes followed that subtle movement, and a smirk flew across his face. Joffrey was trying to intimidate him. Loki had had to deal with darker, more powerful beings like Malekith and Thanos. Piddly, little Joffrey Baratheon was the farthest thing from intimidating. Loki hooked his thumbs in his belt loops, and grinned.

"You would dare defy me? When I become king, I won't pay you. I'll take your head," Joffrey told him. Loki snickered, and Joffrey brought his sword up. The god slapped it away, sending it flying into the river. Joffrey took a step back.

"Don't tempt me to make sure that day never happens. That would spoil the fun of the end game," Loki whispered so that only Joffrey could hear. Joffrey paled visibly, and stepped back again. Loki had momentarily allowed his eyes to go red. He wanted to scare Joffrey, and give him a hint of how powerful he really was.

"How dare you threaten your future king?!" Joffrey shouted, and the boy took off, running away from Arya. "Get back here, you peasant!" Joffrey started after him, but Loki stuck his foot out, and tripped him up. Joffrey fell face first into the stream. Ayra could not help herself. She chuckled out loud. Joffrey was looking for something that might possibly be weaker than him to beat on. Turning on her, he raised his hand. "How dare you?!" he bellowed, Arya took a step back, and her hand was coming up to defend herself. Loki could feel his anger rising inside of him. The thought of Joffrey trying to strike either of the Stark girls, was enough to make him want to kill the prince right then and there. However, he was not the only one to be filled with wrath. Arya's direwolf, Nymeria, appeared out of the woods, and tackled Joffrey to the ground. The wolf began to bite into his arm, and the prince screamed.