Chapter 28 - Advising a Dragon

Daenerys was very pleased as she paced the open space in her tent. Her baby boy was developing beautifully, and Khal Drogo was starting to gather the horse clans together to back her on her righteous bid for the Iron Throne. After the attempt to poison her, Drogo took that as a declaration of war on the part of King Robert. She was, however, not pleased with how the Dothraki were raiding every village and city they passed; raping the women, killing the men, and enslaving the children. When Daenerys became Queen of Westeros, she would work to weed such violence out of the Dothraki. A breath of cold wind, made Daenerys smile, and she turned to face the source of it. Loki was sitting on a setup of cushions, and admiring his reflection in a goblet of gold. "Loki!" Daenerys said, and she went to him. Loki embraced her, before Daenerys pulled away, and put his hand on her stomach. "Can you feel him? My son will be strong, like his father," Daenerys told him.

"That I have no doubt," Loki said in response, hoping to skate out of the subject of her impending labor. "I have, however, come to talk about something more important." Daenerys cocked her head to one side, and a strand of her pale hair fell from behind her ear. Loki brushed it back, and began. "I've just come from Kings Landing. Things are going to be moving quickly from here on in."

"Why? What is happening?" Daenerys asked. Loki stepped away from her, and walked about, before he faced her again.

"King Robert Baratheon is dying." Daenerys' eyes widened, before a smile spread across her face.

"Than that removes him as the usurper of my throne," she said, but Loki clucked, and waggled his finger.

"All my lessons have not been for naught. I know that. What is the next logical event to take place?" Loki posed. Daenerys smiled and rolled her eyes as she sat down on the sofa.

"As the 'heir' of the 'realm', Prince Joffrey is crowned King Joffrey of House Baratheon, first of his name, Protector of the Realm, King of the Andals, and the First Men," Daenerys rattled off.

"Remind me not to have titles when you become queen," Loki told her jokingly, and she laughed lightly. "Except for the part where Joffrey is not of House Baratheon. But of House Lannister." Daenerys' smile vanished, and the expression she bore was of true bewilderment.

"How is that possible? Of what do you speak?" Daenerys pressed, demanding to know what was really going on. Loki walked back over to her, and stood before the Khaleesi.

"What I mean is that Joffrey is not the son of Robert Baratheon and Cersei Lannister. But of Jaime Lannister and Cersei Lannister," he whispered to her. The meaning of his words dawned on her, and Daenerys gasped. Loki continued his walking while Daenerys muttered to herself.

"Does anyone else know of this revelation?" she finally asked. Loki shrugged, and he stopped by the dragon's eggs. His hand got as close to it as he dared, before the heat made him pull it back. Turning back to her, he cleared his throat.

"Only Lord Eddard Stark knows, and he foolishly kept that information to himself when he last spoke to Robert. He was also an idiot by offering Cersei the chance to save herself, and the lives of her children," Loki said.

"How is doing the honorable thing, and giving her a chance to flee, idiotic?" Daenerys asked, leaning forward. Loki smirked, and a chuckle rumbled through his body.

"Daenerys, what was one of the first things I taught you when we began our lessons?" Loki queried in return. Daenerys looked at her feet for a moment, before she sighed.

"Never to reveal your hand to your enemy, unless it only aids you. Ned Stark showed Cersei what he knew, and he was not in a position to gain anything from it," Daenerys said.

"Exactly!" Loki said, and he lightly placed his finger on Daenerys' nose. "And, since he failed to tell Robert, he has only informed Cersei and her followers that he knows something so dangerous, that there is only one, permanent solution."

"Is he your friend?" Daenerys asked, and Loki tilted his head to one side. He pondered her words, thinking about all their meetings together over the last several weeks. He did not hate Ned Stark by any means. He was actually rather amused by the man's deep, and archaic sense of honor. But, his honesty was going to get him killed, and, since his mother had ordered him to let it happen, Loki was just going to have to watch.

"I don't have friends. I have enemies, pupils, and wards," Loki responded. Daenerys raised an eyebrow at this.

"But... surely..." she started to say, before Loki cut her off.

"No friends! Friends either stab you in the back, or drag you down. I don't believe in friends anymore," Loki told her firmly. Daenerys could hear the anger in his voice. Clearly, he had had friends where he came from, and they had turned on him, or caused him harm.

"I am a pupil, aren't I?" Daenerys asked. Loki controlled himself again, and nodded his head after inhaling.

"Yes, you and another girl are my pupils. My enemies are... well... many," Loki said.

"And wards?" Daenerys queried, wondering who had earned Loki's protection. Loki looked away from Daenerys, thinking of the young girl who had unwittingly fallen under his sphere of guardianship. Turning back to her, he had a soft smile on his face.

"A girl. She's too naïve and gentle hearted for her own good." Daenerys discerned the caring tone, and she could not help but feel a little jealous. Even though she figured he might have met this girl before he came to teach her, Daenerys still felt that he belonged to her.

"And... this girl? She reciprocates your feelings?" Daenerys asked. Loki's eyes narrowed drastically, and a wicked smirk crossed over his face.

"What? Are we jealous, Stormborn?" Loki challenged. Daenerys pouted, and Loki snickered as he continued to walk about.