Chapter 51 - Company Required

When Loki left to deliver the packages to the starving people, Sansa went searching for an empty book to right her story in. She felt Loki was right. Talking about it, even if it was only writing it down for oneself, was better than keeping it in the confines of her darkest dreams. Maybe if she put it to paper, she would stop having nightmares. Sansa had been having those horrific dreams almost every time she closed her eyes. Alfie was always there for her, but Sansa really wanted Loki. His arms wrapped around her, the scent of frost that always clung to him, and his soft touch. Despite his strength and obvious killer instinct, Loki was surprisingly gentle. Sansa searched the library, but did not find a vacant book for her to write in. It was getting to the point where she was just going to have to use blank, loose parchment; when a whispering drew her to her chambers. "Loki? Are you back already?" Sansa asked. Sticking her head inside, she caught a glimpse of a leather bound book on her desk. She recognized it as the book she had seen Loki reading sometimes. Walking over, she opened it carefully, and peered at the Nordic runes within. She was studying the Norse language, so she was able to do a rough translation of the words. A note, from his mother. At the bottom of that letter to Loki, Sansa saw one written in the Common Tongue for her.

Use this as your confidant, child. I will take care of Loki when he finds out. This book only accepts the truth. No lies are permitted. Frigga

Sansa gasped as she realized that Loki's mother had placed that there for her. She was giving her permission to pen in this book. Sansa flipped through the book, studying the graceful writing. It was beautiful. A few pages had a stronger, firmer hand penned there, and Sansa wondered if Loki put some of his thoughts inside. When she finally came to a blank page, she got a quill and ink. She dipped it in the ink, but paused, the quill hovering over the page. Some blots of ink landed, staining the parchment. Finally, Sansa inhaled and began to write. Her writing was different from Loki's and Frigga's. It was not confident like Loki's, or beautiful like Frigga's. It was the writings of a child. A little girl, who at present, was afraid of her own shadow. Sansa continued to write, losing track of time, and even ignoring Alfie when he jumped on her desk. The cat rubbed his head against her arm, but Sansa continued to write. Alfie was hurt, and walked away, moping. When Sansa finished writing her story, she placed the quill down, and looked at her work. The pages had a few tear drops on them, and they had blurred some of the words. Sansa wiped them away and stood up.

"What do you have there?" asked a voice, and she spun around. Loki was leaning in the door frame, his arms folded across his chest.

"A writing book. I wrote my story there," Sansa said. Loki nodded, and walked over. When he closed the book to look at the cover, Sansa saw the expression of recognition on his face. She winced.

"Where did you get this?" he asked, turning to her, his expression tight.

"It was here on my desk! I swear on the Seven! Read the note in the front!" Sansa told him quickly. Loki flipped to the front, and saw what Frigga had left for her. His eyebrows wiggled, before he glanced back at her.

"Alright, my mother wanted you to write in this. But! If you want it again, tell me," he informed Sansa. She nodded quickly, and Loki took the journal with him. He left Sansa alone, and the Stark girl breathed a sigh of relief.

That night, Sansa tossed and turned in her sleep. She had almost rolled over Alfie, and the kitten had scrambled to her nightstand, watching his mistress in the throes of her nightmare. Sweat slid off Sansa's forehead, and she was holding the coverlet in a death grip. Her mouth was open, but no sound was coming out. Yet. "Ah!" Sansa suddenly screamed, sitting up in bed. She breathed rapidly in and out, spinning around, making sure the dream had been just a dream. When she realized that she was in her chamber in the portis satis tuto, she heaved a sigh, and pulled her knees into her chest. The door flew open a second later, and she looked up. Loki was standing there, a loose black shirt covering him, and his black hair all tousled about his face.

"What happened?" he asked her, glancing around the room quickly.

"Nothing... just a nightmare," Sansa told him. Loki nodded, still glancing around the room, as if he suspected something dark was lurking in the corners. Finally, Loki was satisfied, and glanced back at Sansa.

"Well then... good night," he told her, beginning to leave the room.

"Loki!" Sansa suddenly called after him. Loki paused and looked her, his head leaning against the door. "Would you... consider... staying here... with me tonight?" Sansa finally asked, dragging out the sentence. Loki's eyes widened for a moment, before he slowly nodded his head.

"Alright. I'll stay on the window seat," he said, walking over to it.

"No!" Sansa said, causing him to give her a queer look. Sansa fiddled with the ties of her nightgown, trying to put her desires into words. "I was hoping you could sleep beside me? Just on top of the covers. It'll let me know you're really there." Loki's eyebrow went up drastically, but he was able to control his surprise.

"Are you sure? You don't seem to fine with physical contact right now-" Loki started to say, but Sansa was determined to have her way.

"I'm sure. Just get over here," she commanded between clenched teeth. Loki seemed startled by her demand, but he made his way over. Sansa wiggled under the covers again, and Loki sat down beside her. He started peeling his shirt off, and Sansa made a face. He noticed and frowned.

"I prefer to sleep without a shirt. Don't worry. The trousers will stay on," he assured her sarcastically. Loki removed his shirt, laying it on the floor beside the bed. He laid himself down, and faced her for a moment. "I'm just on this side of the mattress," he told her. Sansa nodded. "Okay... well... good night," Loki said finally, rolling over and showing her his back. Sansa pressed herself deeper into the feather pillow and mattress, slowly turning her head to look at the god lying beside her. His shoulders were broad, and Sansa could see rippling muscles beneath his pale skin. She also caught a shadow of a scar, just barely missing his spine. She wondered if it was the twin for the one he had on his chest. Sansa tentatively reached over, her fingers hovering just a half an inch away from touching his shoulder blade. However, Sansa withdrew her hand, and turned her back on him as well. Alfie jumped onto the bed, and cuddled up against her, making her stroke his fur.

"Good night, Loki," Sansa whispered as she closed her eyes. Sansa could not see Loki's face. Even though he was still, and his breathing normal, his eyes were wide open.