September 12

Dear diary,

I'm sorry I didn't check in yesterday. We spent the whole morning looking for Canada. I don't think that he is where I thought he would be. I really miss him, and it's getting harder to deal with. I've been keeping good care of Kumajiro since he's been missing.

After we took a lunch break, me, New York, New jersey, Maine, Connecticut, and Massachusetts went back to the memorial in New York for a while. It still hurts, you know? New York even has scars over his right eye. That's why he keeps them hidden. Also, I think he might be blind in that eye, but I haven't brought it up.

I told the other states to go get some rest while I stayed a little longer. That may have been a bad idea, because I woke up leaning against the barrier to the waterfall. Now I'm sore all over, tired, hurting inside, and bleeding all over my bathroom. By the way, I've been cutting again. I'm sorry, I know I'm not good enough.

That's why they didn't come looking for me when I didn't come back this morning. They probably didn't even notice I wasn't there. Illinois, New York, and Alaska came and checked on me a while ago, wondering where I had gotten off to. At least they care.

You know, they are more of a family to me than England and the others ever were. I would not hesitate to burn the world to the ground for them.

-The Grande Ole America