Chapter 49

February - 1 month old

The past month has flown by! You wouldn't think that one month ago, Connor was born. He's been progressing along very nicely too. He can tell when both me and Joe are about and he's just started to make little noises that Joe finds hilarious.

Just one week after Connor was born, my dad made an expected and unplanned stop by the house. He said he some 'urgent news' to talk to me about. I didn't know what he was talking about but went along with.

After discussing the news for countless hours, my dad agreed to sort it out for me so I wouldn't have to worry and just focus on Connor.

I walked into the master bedroom with Connor in my arms. I smiled down at him before I placed him in the middle of the bed, surrounded by the pillows so he wouldn't fall off. I walked over to my walk-in wardrobe and took out my skinny jeans and long sleeve top. I walked back over to Connor to see if he was okay and smiled once more at him before walking into the bathroom to get ready.

I came out five minutes later and walked back over to the bed. I picked up my phone from the side of it and placed it in my front pocket.

Picking Connor up, I took him down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Let's see if daddy made you a bottle before he left for training," I said, opening the fridge. "Looks like he didn't, so I'll have to do it."

I walked over to the sitting area and put Connor down in the cradle that was set up there before walking back over to the kitchen to make Connor a bottle. I heard the buzzing come from the security monitor in the hall and stopped what I was doing.

"That can bloody wait," I muttered, walking back over to the cradle to give Connor his bottle.

I picked him up and held him in my arms before giving him his bottle. I walked out to the hall to see what was on the security monitor. I looked at the screen.

'Do you have someone coming over to see you?'

I pressed the 'deny' button and turned the camera on and spotted someone standing with their back to the camera, talking to the security guards. The person turned round and I took a step back.

I stared at the screen in disbelief. I put the bottle down on the side table and slowly reached for the panic button on the screen.

As my finger came in contact with the button the face came right up to the screen and I jumped back. Connor began to cry in my arms and I had no choice but to walk away from the screen and go back to the sitting area. I walked over to the panic button that was installed in that room and pressed it.

I reached into my jeans pocket for my phone but couldn't get to it as Connor began to get really fussy. I walked over to the cradle and put him in it before I got my phone out and phoned my little brother, Austin.

"Pick up. Please, Austin. Pick up your bloody phone!" I said down the phone before he finally picked it up.

"Hello," Austin joyfully answered. "What can I do for you?"

"Austin, we have a problem. A very BIG problem," I said, leaning against the back of one of the couches.

"What is it? Are you hurt? Is Connor hurt?" He rambled on.

"No, but get over here fast. You'll see what I mean when you get here." I ended the call and put my phone back in my pocket.

I picked Connor back up and held him to my chest, gently rocking him till he calmed down. I walked over to the french doors and looked out to the garden. The sooner Austin gets here, the better.