Chapter 48

I sat on the side of the hospital bed and looked at the time on my watch. 10:35am. Joe was suppose to be here by now with the baby carrier to put Connor in so we could go home. It doesn't take an hour to take my bag home, get the baby carrier and come back. I was just about to phone him when the room door opened and he came in.
“Where the hell have you been?” I asked without giving him a chance to explain.
“There are hundreds of photographers out there wanting to get a picture of Connor. My dad couldn't get the car into the car park. The hospital have allowed us to park at the entrance though, so we don't have to walk far.” He placed the baby carrier next to me on the bed.
I got to my feet and shook my head. “You've got to be kidding me. Are there any at the house?”
“They're waiting along the road and at the gates. Hello little man,” Joe smiled as he picked Connor up and carried him in his arms.
“That's all we need.”
“It'll be fine.” He placed Connor in the carrier and placed a blanket round him so he was kept warm. “You ready?”
“Do you even have to ask?” I laughed, opening the room door and waiting for him.
He picked the carrier back up and walked out the room, taking my free hand in his to walk with me. Midwives and doctors came over to us and said their goodbyes before we walked towards the main entrance.
As we stepped outside, I could see flashes of light coming from the distance as we walked towards the car. I opened the car door behind the drivers door and allowed Joe to put the baby carrier in before I got in at the other side. I closed the door as Joe got in the passenger seat at the front of the car. Charlie turned the engine on and began to drive away.

We got back home a little after 11:30am. I walked into the house first as Joe carried Connor into the living room. I took my jacket off and followed Joe into the living room. He placed the baby carrier on the couch and sat down. I watched him take the blanket off from around Connor and take him out the carrier. I placed the carrier on the floor before sitting down next to Joe on the couch.

He handed Connor over to me and I took him in my arms. I held him against my chest as he drifted off to another peaceful sleep. Joe put his arm over my shoulders and looked down at Connor as I rested my head on his shoulder.
“You're not tired are you?” Joe asked.
“No, I'm just getting comfy.”
“If you were, you can go to bed and have a sleep.”
“I'm fine. I just want to sit here with you and Connor.”
Joe kissed the side of my head then stroked Connor's head lightly.

At 6pm, I was sat at the dining room table eating my dinner as Joe sat feeding Connor in the sitting area. I looked over at him as he looked at Connor in awe.
“You're my little boy,” I heard Joe say to Connor as he put the bottle on the table. “I won't let anything happen to you.”
I smiled and went back to eating. Joe walked over to the table and looked at me.
“I'm going to put him down in the cot so he can sleep,” he told me, walking towards the door.
“Okay, just remember to..” I started as he walked out the room.
“I know,” I heard him responded as he went up the stairs.
“He's really taken to fatherhood hasn't he?” Louise said to me.
“He has. He fell in love with Connor the moment he saw him,” I told her.
“Every father does,” she said, looking at Charlie who sat next to her.
I laughed at took a sip of my drink.

We were all sat in the living room at 7:30pm, watching the TV when Joe decided to turn the camera on in Connor's nursery.
I looked over at him. “Do you mind?”
“I don't actually. I want to see my son,” he said, looking at the screen that showed Connor sleeping soundly in his cot.
“Got used to saying that now, have you?” I laughed.
“I have. Is it so wrong that I just want to see my son?” He asked.
“No, you're just lazy and can't be bothered to walk up the stairs to go and see him.” I said. trying to grab the remote control out his hand.
I lay across his body as he reached his hand out to the side so I couldn't reach the remote. I grabbed his arm and tried to pull it back so I could get the remote but he was too strong to move.
“Give me it!” I shouted.
“No!” He laughed. “God, you're such a girl if you can't get it off me.”
“Clearly, I'm a girl when I just gave birth to our son!” I told him.
Connor began to cry and I slightly hit Joe in the stomach before I got up off him and began to walk out the room.
“See what you did?” I shouted at Joe from the stairs.
“I did nothing!” He shouted back.

I walked into the nursery and picked Connor up out the cot.
“Did mean daddy wake you?” I hushed, sitting down on the chair by the window. “It's okay, baby. Mummy's here.”
I rocked him in my arms till he got settled. I sat looking down at him and he stared up at me. He was so much like Joe. His eyes, his facial features – everything! I only looked away from him when Joe came into the room and kneeled down next me.
“I'm sorry,” he apologised.
“It's okay,” I told him as I stood up.
I walked back over the cot and laid Connor down. He slowly closed his eyes and went back to sleep.
“I didn't-” Joe began to whisper.
I lightly pushed him out the nursery and closed the door over slightly. I turned and looked at him.
“I'm sorry,” he apologised again.
“You already said that,” I laughed quietly.
“Did I? See what I mean? Since Connor's came, my mind has been on him. He's my first born and I just want-” He started.
“I know and I do too,” I replied, giving him a hug.
“I'm scared. I mean, now he's here, I have no clue as to what I'm suppose to do.” He confessed.
“And you think I do? I don't. I'm only going with it,” I told him. “Whatever happens, we'll be going through it together and doing together.”
“I know,” he sighed, taking my hand. “I love you.”
“Love you too,” I said as we walked back down the stairs.