Chapter 13

The Manchester office was so much different than our main office in London. Our main office in London spanned over numerous floor but this one only spanned over the course of four floors. Everything here was simple, yet bright. Each floor was almost identical to the last and getting shown around seemed only too boring. It was a case of, once you've seen one floor, you've practically seen them all. I think I need to bring that up with my dad when I next talk to him.

I was shown where my office would be as my mobile started to ring. I looked confusingly at the number before excusing myself from the woman who was showing me about.

“Hello,” I answered with confusion playing on my voice.

“Mia, this is Lisa Mullen fro LT Management. Your mum contacted me about a week ago about you becoming one of our clients,” The woman answered.

“Erm, I have no idea why my mum would do-” I started.

“You're mum is Victoria Halliwell is she not?”

“Yes.”

“She contacted us about taking you on as a client. She said that she wanted the best for you and that only the best management will do.”

“I'm sorry but I honestly have no idea what you're talking about,” I told her truthfully.

“Oh, well maybe I need to phone her back and arrange a meeting with you both.” I heard her rustling with sheets of paper before she continued. “It seems that you both want different things but I think a meeting would still benefit. I'll let your mum know and we'll have you flown over to our New York office.”

“I-”

“I'll arrange everything with your mum and speak to you soon. Goodbye, Mia.”

The phone went dead and I huffed. What the hell was that!

Turing back to look at the woman who was showing me around, I apologised again and told her that I had an important thing to attend. Little did she know, it was a phone call to my mum that would have my dad erupting with anger.

I quickly walked out of the building and over to the car, dialling my mum's work number as I went.

“Amelia, what can-” My mum started, the happiness in her voice making me even more pissed off.

“What the hell do you think you're doing?” I angrily asked, opening the car door and getting inside. “I just had a woman off the phone to me telling me that you contacted her about her company managing me. Something about you wanting the best from me? What the hell, mum?”

“Amelia, I just don't want you to waste your life on a job that you know won't get you anywhere. I want you to make a name for yourself. I don't want you to be know as a footballer's girlfriend.” She admits. “I want you to be known as Mia Halliwell. I don't want you to be living off your dad's money and that's what you're practically doing by working for him.”

“Mum, why can't you get it? I don't have the confidence to do what I did before! Maybe in a few years, I will but for now, I just want to work in the office.”

“Having a meeting with LT Management won't hurt. Just come and I can let you do all the talking.”

“Never going to happen.”

“Amelia, you will go to that meeting!”

“No, I won't! And you sure as hell can't make me go!”

“If I can't, your dad will.”

“Oh and does he know that you don't want me working at the company?” Silence. “Thought as much. Goodbye, mum.”

I ended the call and started the car before heading back to Carrington to pick Joe up.

I pulled up at Carrington and turned the engine off. By just one look at me, Joe will know there's something wrong. What am I going to tell him?

Before I had time to think about how I was going to tell him what was wrong, the passenger door opened and Joe got in the car. He closed the door and gave me a kiss.
"Hey," he smiled.
"Hi. How was your first day?" I asked.
"It was great. Met all the team and everyone was very welcoming to me," he replied.
"Well that's a good thing," I said, starting the car again.
"How was it in the office?" He asked.
"Can we not talk about that here? I would rather talk about that when we get home." I told him while reversing the car round the curb. I looked at him.
"Okay, anything you want." He smiled weakly.
How am I going tell him now? He's in such a good mood and I don't want to bring him down.