Chapter 42

October – 6 months pregnant

Joe kept to his word and bought us a new house to live in. It was in a private area that had only ten houses built along the road. Nobody could get in without it being authorised by both the security and those who stayed in the house they were going to. Our house had five spacious bedrooms, an indoor swimming pool and two separate sitting rooms. It was perfect for us and it felt like home.

I sat on the couch looking at baby clothes on Mamas & Papas as Joe tried to fit together the baby furniture that we got delivered this morning. I heard a thud come from upstairs and put the laptop down at the side of me. I stood up and walked up the stairs to see what happened.

Walking into the room that would be the nursery, I saw Joe holding his hand and pain cover his face completely.
“Fucking hell!” He shouted as he moved about the bedroom while gripping his hand tightly, no doubt trying to subside the pain that generated through it.
“What have you done?” I laughed at the sight.
“Nice to know that you find this so funny. You don't have to put all this together!” He kicked an empty cardboard box across the floor and shook his hand.
“Why didn't you just ask the delivery-” I started.
“I wanted to do it myself. God, this really hurts!”
“Let me see,” I said, walking over the pieces of furniture waiting to be put together. I took his hand in mine and looked at it. “It's only a red mark. You'll be fine.”
“What if I'm not?” He asked, slightly pouting his bottom lip at me.
“Stop being such a baby and get on with it. Why don't you ask your dad to help you when he gets here in a few minutes?” I let go of his hand and started to walk out the room.
“Yeah because he's really going to be pleased that his own son can't piece together some baby furniture.” I stopped by the doorway and looked back at him. “Why is there so much anyway?”
“Think of it as-”
“Mia, if you're not going to help me, then why are you still standing here?” He asked, sounding pissed off at me.
“If you don't want my company, that's fine. I'll just go and spend all your money on things that I want the baby to have.” I said.
“You just do that,” he said, picking up pieces of furniture from the floor.
I narrowed my eyes as I looked at him. “I may even buy myself some diamonds to go along with that. A diamond for each day I'm carrying your child.”

I turned back round and walked away from the room, heading towards the stairs to go back down to the living room and buy some more baby items.
“What? Hell no!” Joe shouted, running out the room after me. I exhaled and smirked. Knew that would get his attention. “You ain't buying that much jewellery with diamonds.”
I turned on the step I was on and looked up at him. “I may, I may not. I'll see what my mood is like. Since I'm in a bad mood after you just told me to basically get out the room...I am.”
“Okay, what-” He started, leaning over the banister to look at me walking down the rest of the stairs.
“Nope. You upset me, so now I'm going to cheer myself up with some new diamonds. Get back to building that furniture Joe or I'll send your dad up to do it for you.”

I walked back into the living room and sat down in my previous seat.
“I hate women!” I heard Joe mention as he went back into the nursery.
I laughed and pulled the laptop back onto my lap before I went back to looking at baby clothes.

I was sitting back in the living room for no more than ten minutes before I heard the front door open.
“It's only us,” Louise shouted. “Where are you two?”
“I'm in the living room,” I replied.
A few seconds later, Louise came into the room and looked at me. “Where's Joseph?”
“He's in the nursery trying to piece together the furniture,” I told her.
“Trying?” Charlie asked, coming into the room and standing by the door.
“He hit the hammer off his hand just before you came. He's been up there trying to piece everything together since this morning.” I explained to him.
“How's he doing?” Louise asked, sitting down opposite me.
“Not good. He hasn't gotten anything pieced together,” I said, putting the laptop away.
“I'll go and give him a hand.” Charlie took his jacket off, sat it over one of the chairs and went up the stairs to help Joe.
“So, how's my grandson doing?” Louise asked, quickly changing the subject.
“He's doing great. We're thinking of getting a 4d scan of the baby when we go for our 8 month scan,” I told her.
“Aw, that'll be nice. You'll get to see the baby as well as get an idea as to what he'll look like.” She smiled.
“Joe can't wait for it. If this is what he's like when I'm pregnant, I wonder what he'll be like when I give birth.”
“You'll make great parents,” she stated.
“Thank you,” I replied.
We heard a bang come from upstairs and I looked at Louise before we both stood up.
“That doesn't sound too good,” she mentioned.
“No, it doesn't.” We walked out the living room and made our way over to the staircase. “I'll let you go and check on them while I get them something to drink.”
Louise nodded and made her way up the stairs as I walked into the kitchen to get Joe and Charlie something to drink. I took two cans of Coca-Cola out the fridge and carried them up the stairs to give them to them.
I walked into the nursery to see a half made cot in the middle of the room.
“Oh, at least you've managed to make some progress.” I laughed, handing the cans over to them.
“What was the banging noise?” Louise asked.
“Nothing,” Joe replied as he took a sip of his drink.
“Joe?” I questioned.
“It was nothing!” He snapped, sitting the can down on the window ledge.
“What ever you say,” I sighed.
There was buzzing sound coming from the security monitor down stairs. I left he room and walked down the stairs to look at it. I saw that there was a message on the screen asking if we were due to have a delivery today. I hit the 'yes' button and opened the front door so I could take the delivery.

A delivery van pulled up outside the house and a man got out while carrying a medium sized white box. He sat the box down in front of me and I signed for it. He smiled and walked back to the van before it quickly drove away. I turned round to look up at Joe who was holding onto the banister and looking down at me.
“Joe, can you do me a favour?” I asked sweetly.
“What?” He asked with a brow raised.
“Can you come down and pick the box up for me?”
“Why me?”
“Fine! I'll do it,” I said, turning round to pick the box up.
“No! I'll do it.” He let go of the banister and walked down the stairs.
“Thank you, baby.” I smiled, kissing his cheek as he approached me to get the box.
“Yeah, yeah. Whatever,” he moaned while picking up the box and carrying it through into the living room.
I closed the front door and walked into the living room after Joe. Louise and Charlie came down the stairs and joined us in the living room. I sat down next to Joe on the couch while his parents sat across from us.
“What have you bought this time?” Joe asked, opening the box.
“Baby clothes,” I said, picking out a baby grow with 'I love my daddy' on it. “You can't say that's not cute.”
Joe took it out my hands and looked at it. “It is cute. But I can think of more things that are cuter.”
“Haha, no!” I picked out more baby clothes and sat them over Joe's lap.
I picked out a specific white baby grow that I had personalised, that said 'The cutest hartbreaker in the world' on it.
“Can I see that?” Louise asked me.
I handed it over to her and she smiled.
“I like the spelling of 'Hart' you had put on it,” Charlie said, looking at the baby grow.
“When did you buy these?” Joe asked, picking up a baby Manchester City football top from inside the box.
“When you were away with the England team. I needed something to do,” I told him.
“What? No Birmingham City or England top?” Joe asked.
I picked up a baby England goalkeeper top that was made just for our son and gave it to Joe. He looked at the back of it and noticed that it said 'HART 1'.
He looked at me and smiled, “I love you.”
“I know. I love you too,” I replied before giving him a quick kiss.
We spent the rest of the afternoon looking at the baby clothes and talking about other baby items that could be personalised for the baby.