Chapter 21

We walked towards the exit of the hotel, hand-in-hand and stopped when we noticed large groups of photographers waiting for us. I took a deep breath and felt Joe squeeze my hand to reassure me. I briefly look up at him before we continue to walk out of the hotel.
"Mia, are you and Joe engaged?"
"When's the wedding?"
"Are you pregnant?"
"Are you getting married because you're pregnant?"
So many questions but I don't have the time for any of them. Some I wanted to answer because they were so stupid but I kept my mouth shut. We were guided towards Joe's waiting car by security and got in.

“Go to Lisa's house,” I instructed before the car started to move.

We arrived at my managers house about half an hour minutes after we left the hotel, traffic a little heavy as it was heading towards midday during the week. As Lisa stayed in Liverpool anyway, it didn't take long before we left the busy city center and were driving along quiet roads lined with private houses.

When we arrived at hour house, we got out the car and walked into it, no need to knock because she knew who it would be.
"Where the hell have you been? I text you over an hour ago and this is you just getting here? My office, right now!" Lisa shouted at me, walking down the stairs in the process.
I looked at her husband, Tony, who raised his eyebrows at me as he stood by the door to the living room. "What's she so mad about?"
"I've gave up with her since she became angry over the engagement story." Tony simply answered.
"MIA, MOVE IT!" Lisa shouted again.
I walked into her office with Joe and we sat down across from her at her large dark brown desk.
"Lisa, I know that it-" I start.
"Looks bad? It looks bad? Of course it looks bad! You haven't told any of your friends or family that you're engaged and the press get to be the ones to tell them!" She shouted at us. “Don't either of you understand the term 'privacy' and know that when you get engaged at a hotel, it really doesn’t qualify as private?”
"Can I speak now?” I ask, hoping she was finished with her rant. She turns and stares at me. “I know it looks bad but we can sort this. We just have to release a statement telling them that we aren't engaged. Just say that the workers at the hotel hot it wrong. That way, we can get married in secret with only our friends and family knowing the truth."
"A statement? And who do you expect to type this statement up and tell them? ME? Because I'm telling the two of you right here, right now, that I ain't doing it."
"Tina can do it. You don't have to do anything," I replied.
"Oh, I give up! Get out, I'll sort it." She angrily waved her hands at us to get out and began to make phone calls.
Joe and I stood up and walked towards the door.
"Mia," Lisa said simply.
I turned and looked at her, "Yes?"
"Congratulations," She half smiled.
I returned her smile and walked out the room. I looked at Tina who was getting ready to go and see Lisa.
"She in a better mood?" Tina asked.
"If you call shouting at us a better mood, then I would say yes."
"God! She needs to calm down. She's stressing over this and it'll be no big deal once it's all sorted and dealt with."
"Try telling her that," Joe told Tina.
"I better get in there and help her out. Congratulations guys, very proud of you two." Tina said to us before she went into Lisa's office.
"Well, that could have gone better." I told Joe.
"It went as good as it could have went," he replied to me. "Come on, let's go and get something to eat. My treat."
"I should think so," I smile.
We walked out the house and towards the car to go and get something to eat. Oh, the joys of being in the public eye and having photographers follow your every move.