Chapter 33

July - 3 months pregnant

Ever since I told Joe I was pregnant, he's had a permanent smile on his face. He's also become very protective over me and it's sometimes annoying but I've learned to deal with it. No one knew yet and because we were going for the 12 week scan today, we would tell them all tonight at a family dinner we've got planned.

I woke up in the morning with the feeling of Joe's hand rubbing my stomach. I only had the faintest sign of a bump but if most saw me, they'd think I had only put on a little bit of weight. I turned to lay on my back and looked at him.
“Morning,” he smiled.
“Good morning,” I replied and returned his smile.
He moved his head and rested it above my shoulder. I lay my head against his while he continued to rub my stomach.
“Scan today?” He asked for the umpteenth time this week.
“You've been asking me that for the past week and the answer has always been the same. Yes, the scan is today,” I answered while getting up off the bed.
I walked over to the walk-in wardrobe to go and get my clothes ready for today. Joe walked in a few minutes later and looked at me picking my clothes out. I went to reach up to get a bag from the top shelf but Joe stopped me.
“Don't. I'll get it.” He reached up for the bag and brought it down for me.
“I'm not handless. I'm only pregnant,” I replied, taking the offered bag from him.
He pulled me into his arms and I looked at him.
“Yes, I know. But, Mrs Hart, you are pregnant with my baby and I want to take care of you.” He smiled.
I scowled at him before pushing him away. “Go and get ready if you want to go and see YOUR baby.”
He laughed and we started to get ready.

Our appointment was at 12:30pm and I was standing downstairs waiting for Joe to come down.
“Joe, hurry up! We only have 20 minutes to get to the hospital!” I shouted.
I saw him come out the bedroom while putting his leather jacket on. He walked down the stairs and looked at me.
“What's with all the shouting?” He asked, picking his car keys up.
“You are unbelievable,” I said walking out the front door that he held open for me.
“That's why you love me and you're pregnant,” he smirked, closing and locking the door behind me.
We got in his car and drove to the hospital.

When the car stopped in a space at the hospital, there were lots of photographers waiting to get pictures of us. We got out the car and Joe walked round to my side and took a hold of my hand. We walked towards the entrance and when they noticed that we were going into the hospital, the shouting for a photo began.
“Mia, did you and Joe get married?”
“Why are you going into the hospital?”
“Are you pregnant?”
I wish they would all just shut the hell up!
We were five minutes late getting to our appointment but my doctor understood and took us into the same room I was in when I got my first scan. I lay down on the bed and Joe sat next to me, holding my hand as he smiled away like a loony.
“12 week scan today. Excited?” The doctor asked, a smile playing on his lips.
“I know I am,” Joe said.
The doctor laughed. “And you are?”
“Joe Hart. Mia's husband,” he replied.
“Oh, so you got married, Amelia?” He asked me.
“Yeah and from now on, it's Mrs Hart.” I said, looking at Joe who's smile only got bigger.
“Okay. So, Mrs Hart, shall we see your baby?”
“Please,” I replied.
Joe moved closer to me and looked at the screen.
“There you go,” the doctor said to us.
I looked at Joe and noticed that his eyes were beginning to tear up. I smiled and gently stroked his cheek before he turned and looked at me. He leaned close to me and gave me a quick kiss.
“I'll just go and get these printed for you,” the doctor said, walking out the room.
Joe helped me sit up and pulled me off the bed. He held me to his chest and kept saying that he loved me.
“Joe, I get that you love me and all, but can you let me go?”
“Sorry,” he said, letting go of me. “That's...I'm...”
“That's our baby,” I told him.
“I'm...” he started.
I laughed at him and the doctor came back in with the scan pictures. I took the pictures off him and put them in my bag.
“I will see you for your next scan in a few weeks,” he said before we left the room.
I held onto Joe's hand as we left the hospital and there seemed to be even more photographers about than before. Joe let go of my hand and pulled me into his side as we walked towards the car. We got in the car and drove back home.

We arrived back home at 2pm because Joe insisted on driving slow now. Only he could think of driving slow the now and the baby isn't even here yet! I walked into the house and went into the living room to sit down. A few minutes later, Joe came in and sat down next to me.
"How are you feeling?" He asked.
"A little tired," I replied.
"Well, you can..." His phone went off and he looked at it. "I need to take this. I'll be back, you rest."
He walked out into the hall to answer his phone while I took the pictures from the scan out my bag and looked at them. I smiled and placed the pictures on the coffee table before laying down on the couch. Joe came back in and lifted the pictures off the coffee table. He sat down on the floor in front of me and looked at them.
I gently ran my fingers up and down the back of his neck as he looked at them.
"Don't cry this time now," I said to him.
"I didn't cry. I just..." he started. "Okay, fine. I had a little tear in my eye."
I laughed and he turned round to look at me. "Sorry, but it's funny."
"Well, it won't be so funny when..." He trailed off and jumped onto the couch and lay above me.
"Get off me!" I shouted.
"I don't think I will," he smirked.
"Joe, look where my leg is sitting. If you don't get off me, this will connect..."
He moved to lay down next to me. "There. Happy?"
"Very," I said, moving closer to him.
He put his arms around me and I drifted off to sleep.