Chapter 1

2003 - 16 years old

I can't believe that I have to go to a stupid charity event in Birmingham with my big sister, Anna! My parents seem to think that I know I'm only being dragged along because I have nothing better to do with my time. But we all know that she's actually dragging me along to it all because I've been acting up in school recently.

I wouldn't say that I'm ungrateful as to what my family are able to give me and I also wouldn't say that I was a girly girl either. For all I have a wardrobe full of dresses, skirts and true girly things, I'm at my comfiest when I'm wearing joggers and plain t-shirts.

Tonight though, my mum has specially picked out a long silk royal blue gown for me to wear. Sort of a 'coming-of-age' dress if you ask me.

When I walked down the stairs in our house with it on, my mum started to tear up with emotion. Telling me how beautiful I looked and how I was 'all grown up' and going to make the family proud tonight. I never responded to my mum, just nodded and left with Anna leading the way out to the waiting car. One thing was for sure though, tonight will be a very long night.

As we stepped out of the car to go into the hotel for the charity event, I could feel as if there was someone watching me and only me. I didn't take any notice of it and continued to walk into the hotel with Anna.

Just by looking at Anna, you could tell that she was used to things like this. The way she held herself as she walked into the room, all eyes heading straight to her like she brought light to a pitch black room. He dark brown hair was tied neatly up into a bun and her long silk purple gown made her look the part. At the tender age of twenty-two, she was right at home here.

I'm not saying I didn't look the part when I obviously did but I didn't know what to do at these things. Who I should and shouldn't talk too. What to say when someone asks me a serious question. I just didn't have a clue!

Anna held the expectations everyone had tonight and held them high. They thought my parents were sending our brothers tonight but were happier when they saw Anna turn up.

"I'm going to go and get something to drink," I said to Anna as she stood talking to some guy she knew.

“Okay,” Was her only reply to me, never once taking her eyes off of the man that stood in front of her.

I shook my head and made my way over to the bar. Again, I felt as if someone was watching me as I leaned against the cool metal of the bar. The feeling I was starting to get deepened. I couldn't take the feeling of someone watching me anymore and instead of ignoring it, I looked round the room to see who it was.