Chapter 14

Saying I was nervous during the drive back home was an understatement. Neither of us spoke which made me telling him what my mum did all the more harder. I knew that he could tell that there was something wrong with me but didn't say anything. This was going to be a long night!

I drove into the driveway and stopped the car, sighing before turning the engine off and getting out. I waited patiently for Joe to get out and locked the car when I heard the car door slam shut. I quickly walked up to the front door and let myself in.

Leaving the door open for Joe, I put my things on the table by the door and stood by it until Joe came in behind me and closed the door. I could feel his eyes on me and turned to face him.
"Well?" He asked.
"Not now, Joe." I started.
"When then?" He shouted.
"Not now!" I replied. I turned and walked into the kitchen, Joe following close behind me. "Please, Joe."
He grabbed my hand and turned me round to look at him. "You've been acting weird ever since I asked you about the office. What went on there, Mia? I want an answer and I want one now.”
I looked into his eyes and pushed him away. I was not in the mood to go through this with him when both of us were clearly not in the mood for an argument.

I walked out of the kitchen and started walking up the stairs.
"Mia, tell me right now!" Joe shouted as he came running after me.
"Not-"
"TELL ME!" He shouted again.
"MY MUM HAS GOT ME A STUPID INTERVIEW WITH A MANAGEMENT COMPANY IN NEW YORK! SHE NEVER TOLD ME THIS AND I'M SCARED ABOUT GOING!”I turned round and shouted back at him. "There, you know now. So leave me alone!"
I run up the rest of the stairs and into our bedroom, Slamming the door closed when I entered. I lay down on the bed and started to cry.

A few hours later, I heard the door open slowly then close quickly. I kept my eyes shut and felt the bed dip then an arm move to rest over my waist.
"I'm sorry,” Joe whispered, kissing the side of my neck and lying as close to me as he could. "I shouldn't have pestered you into telling me when you clearly weren't ready to tell me."
I took a deep breath and rolled over to look at him. I rested my hand on his chest, near his heart, and looked into his eyes.
"I just...I told my mum I wasn't ready to go out in public after what happened but she didn't listen to me. I just have visions of coming back home and the same thing happen to me like it did before.” I explained.

“Why was that hard to tell me?”

“I was in shock and had a big argument with her over it. I was, and still am, fuming with her. She didn't think about me in this decision and has made it clear that she really hates the idea of me working for my dad.”

“I see,” He nods. “Do you know how long you'll be away for?”

“Nope, didn't say.”
"Well, if it's any consolation, I will still be here when you get back. Trust me. I love you too much to do anything that would jeopardise that. Your mum is only doing what she thinks is best. At least hear her out properly before you fly off the handles again.”
"Promise me you'll be the one to come and pick me up at the airport."
"I promise. Now can I have a kiss because I have been working very hard today?" He smirked.
I laughed and gave him a kiss. Smiling into the kiss, he pulled away and held me close to him and we fell asleep like that.