Chapter 4

2004 - 17 years old

I've been secretly dating Joe now for just over a year. Oh, how time flies when you're having fun.
Today though, I was going to Joe's house in Shrewsbury as his parents and big sister were going shopping. No one knew that we were dating, not even my best friend and I tell her everything!

I walked up the small garden path towards Joe's house, keeping the hood of my pink hoodie up over my head so no one recognised me. I lifted my hand to knock on the door but didn't get a chance to as the door flung open and Joe quickly pulled me inside the house.
"What was that for?" I questioned him.
"Come with me," he said as we made our way through the house towards the back door.

He held the door open for me as I stepped out into the back garden, pulling my hood down as he followed me out. He took one of my hands in his and lead my towards the back of the garden.
"Where are we going?" I asked, suddenly walking through what looked like a forest but it wasn't. My grip on Joe's hand became tighter.
"Just trust me," He reassured me, gently squeezing my hand back.

We continued to walk through the long grass and tress and I looked at him. Trust him, the voice in my head shouted at me as we walked further.

Suddenly, he let go of my hand and moved to stand behind me, covering my eyes with his hands.
My hands fly up to grasp his hands at my eyes. "What are you doing?"
"If you love me, then you'll trust me." He stated.
We slowed our walking down and only took a few steps forward then came to a stop. His hands slowly moved away from my eyes and I looked around.
In the middle of an open field, there was a blanket set up with some food covered over so nothing would get to it.
I turned and looked at him, "A picnic?"
"Yes and only for you," he said to me while giving me a light kiss on my nose.

I laughed. He took hold of my hand again and guided me towards the blanket. He helped me sit down as he sat across from me.
"What would you like?" He asked.
"I don't know, how about an answer as to why all of this?" I answered. “You haven't given me the slightest idea to show me that you're a romantic kinda guy.”
"We've been together for a little over a year now. Nobody knows we're together and I've done all of this as a way of saying..." He started.
"As a way of...?"
He looked at me more directly. "As a way of saying that I love you."

My eyes widen and I look at him in shock. "You what?"
"I said that I love you," he replied. I stand up and begin to walk away. "Mia, come back."
He grabbed my hand and turned me round to face him.
"You just...you..." I stuttered.
"Okay, listen to me," he said, trying to calm me down.
"You..."
He put his hands on my face and made me look at him. "Mia, listen to me. I love you and I know that at this moment in time, it may sound unreal, but I do. I've loved you ever since I set my eyes on you a year ago. Nothing is going to change that."
"Joe..." I start.
He stepped closer to me and held me against him, "Tell me you love me because I know you do."
I looked up into his eyes. God he looks too gorgeous right now. "I love you."
He gently kisses my lips and I smile as he pulled away from me.
"Forgiven?" He asked.
"You know you are. I could never not forgive you," I smiled at him.

I felt my phone vibrate in my jeans pocket and I take it out and look down at the screen.
"What is it?" Joe asked.
"My big sister's coming to pick me up. She thinks I've went shopping. How am I suppose to get to the sho..."
He pulled me back against his body and told me that he'd figure it out but I knew that there would be no point. I was going to get into so much trouble wither I liked it or not.
He let me go and took one of my hand as we decided that we should walk back to his house so I could go and somehow meet up with my sister.

As we got back into his back garden, we stopped walking and realised that his parents and sister were back earlier than expected. I looked at him as he watched his mum put some food away into the fridge and cupboards.
"Follow my lead," he whispers as we make our way up to the back door. This wasn't going to be good.