Chapter 38

September – 5 months pregnant

Joe finally agreed to start decorating the nursery today. He so badly wants to know the sex of the baby so he can paint the room to accommodate him or her. He was getting so obsessed with wanting to know if he'll have his first son or daughter. After I told him about the dream I had of the little boy who looked like him, he really wants a little boy. He wanted a little girl to start off with but has since changed his mind to be like most fathers and wants a boy.

I sat reading a magazine at the dining room table while Joe was away out at training. My laptop was set up next to me so I could buy some things for the baby when I had finished reading my magazine. I heard a knock at the front door and got up to see who it was.

After seeing it was Lisa, I let her in.
“Why are you up?” She asked.
“You're here that's why!” I said, getting annoyed at her.
“Hormones.” She said simply, walking past me.
“Yeah, clearly.” I replied, walking back into the dining room to sit down.
Lisa walked over to the fridge to get a drink while I pulled my laptop over to start looking for furniture for the nursery. She came back over and sat across from me.
“Shopping?” she asked.
“Baby shopping actually,” I corrected. “Why are you even here?”
“Your finances are through. Need you to check them to make sure that what's been written is actually what you've spent your money on.”
“Why can't you do it? Can't you see that I'm busy?” I said, looking at the screen on the laptop.
“No,I can't! You bought the stuff so you have to do it.” She placed a pile of papers next to me and stood up before walking out.

I picked the papers up and threw them on the floor. I was not going to deal with this the now. I typed 'Petit Tresor' in the google search bar and started looking for baby things.

At 2pm, Joe came home and stood behind me as I looked at things to buy. He bent down so that his head was next to mine and started to kiss my neck.
“Stop it,” I said while clicking the 'buy' button on the screen.
“Why? Take a break and come with me,” he said, reaching for my hand.
“Joe, let me get this done!” I shouted at him.
He sighed and sat down next to me. “What's the matter?”
“Nothing,” I replied.
“Mia.”
I put my head in my hands. “Everything.”
“Why everything?” He asked sweetly.
“Lisa wants me to check my finances and I don't know what the hell I'm buying. I don't know if it's a boy or girl I'm having, so that limits me to buy certain things for it.” I cried.
He helped me stand up and pulled me into his arms. I held tightly onto his top and cried into his chest.
“It'll be okay. We can find out tomorrow what the sex of the baby is and I'll take you shopping to buy whatever it is that you want to buy for it after we're done. It'll be fine,” he said, rubbing my back to try and calm me down.
I pulled away from him. He lifted my head up to look at him and gave me a kiss. I smiled at him and he continued to hold me to him as close as he could. He moved back a little when he felt as if something had just hit him.
“What was that?” He asked curiously.
“The baby just kicked for the first time,” I said, putting my hands to my stomach. I looked up at Joe and noticed he was starting to smile.
“Come here.” He took my hand and pulled me into the living room. I lay down on the couch while he sat on the floor looking at me. “What...”
“Give me your hand,” I said. I took his hand and placed it on my stomach. “Now, say something.”
“Like what? I love you.” He smiled at me. The baby kicked again and Joe laughed. “Wow. My baby just kicked. Took it a while didn't it?”
It kicked harder and Joe moved away.
“Thanks for that,” I said, sitting up.
“Sorry. Daddy's sorry,” he apologised, sitting behind me.
I leaned back and rested my head on his lap as he ran his hand across the waistband of my jeans and over my stomach.
“Don't even try it,” I warned while closing my eyes.
“I wasn't thinking about it till you said anything but maybe I will now,” he laughed, resting is hand on my stomach.
“Don't even try it. I'm warning you.”
“Fine. Whatever you want.”
I opened my eyes and looked up at him. He was playing with his phone now instead of trying to annoy me. I decided that I wanted to go and watch a film in the cinema room, so I stood up and Joe looked at me.
“Where are you going?” He called as I walked out the room.
“To go and watch a film,” I replied.
“Why aren't you going to watch it in here?” He asked, following me.
“I don't want to. You annoyed me,” I told him, opening the cinema room door.
“I annoyed you? How?” He leaned against the door frame and looked at me.
“You just did.”
I closed the door over on him and set up the projector and DVD player. I looked through the collection of DVDs that were in the cupboard. God there was loads and most of them were Joe's. I looked through them and decided to watch Atonement. I put the disk in and grabbed the remote control. I sat down on the oversized couch and began to watch the film.

The film wasn't near done when the door opened and Joe came in with a blanket for me. I looked at him briefly then back to the screen. He came over and sat down next to me. He gestured for me to move closer to him and I did. I lay my head on his chest as he put the blanket over us. He held me close and we watched the film.