Chapter 47

We arrived at the hospital at 7:50pm. Joe quickly parked in the nearest space he could find and Roshien ran into the hospital to get nurses to help me. After turning the engine off and taking his seatbelt off, Joe quickly got out the car and came round to help me get out.

I clung onto him as he helped me and was practically crying on his shoulder as he did so. “It hurts, Joe.”

“You'll be fine. The midwives and doctors will take care of you,” he soothed while holding onto me. “See, here's the nurses bringing you a wheelchair so you don't have to walk.”

I didn't move my head away from Joe's shoulder as he carefully lowered me down into the wheelchair. It wasn't till he placed a kiss on the side of my neck, that I let him go.

“Hi, Amelia. My name's Tracey and this is Joanne.” The petite brunette midwife introduced as she wheeled me into the hospital. “We're going to put you in a private room like you requested. We'll get you settled before we give you an epidural. Does that sound, okay?”

I could only nod as we entered an empty lift and were taken up to the maternity ward within the hospital.

When we reached the maternity ward, midwives smiled at me as we went along the brightly lit corridor. I was wheeled into a private room and Joe helped me to lay on the bed.

“Okay, Amelia. I need to ask you a few quick questions first of all. When did you're waters break?” Tracey asked.

“About...quarter to four...I-I don't know,” I answered.

“That's fine. Amelia, we'll need you to get changed into this so we can see how many centimetres you're dilated.” She handed me a hospital gown and left the room with the wheelchair.

“We'll come back and see you once you've changed,” Joanne said before leaving the room and closing the door over.

“Why didn’t you send someone to get me?” Joe asked as I carefully got off the bed.

“I did, I sent Roshien.”I said, taking my jacket and scarf off.

“Mia, that's not what I meant. You were clearly going into labour before the game.” I could feel his stare on me and I felt a little uneasy to say the least.

“Can we not do this right now? I am about to have a baby and you want to pick a fight when you really should be helping me here!” I shouted at him.

“I'm sorry,” he quietly apologised before moving over to help me get changed.

Ten minutes later, I was lying back on the bed, waiting for the midwives to back in. Joe sat in the chair next to me, holding my left hand in his. The door opened and only one of the midwives, Tracey, came in.

“Okay, Amelia. I'll need to put this in you're hand.” She said, taking a needle out it's packet.

“Just don't tell me when you're putting it in because I'm petrified of them,” I told her.

“I promise, I won't. Mr Hart, do you mind if I can get her hand?”

Joe nodded and let go of my left hand before walking round to stand by my right side. He took my right hand in his left hand and I looked up at him.

“Don't look at it. Just look at me and you'll be fine,” he explained, kneeling down next to the bed and coming closer to me.

“I can't-” I started as I felt the needle go into my hand. I gripped onto Joe's hand tighter as he laughed.

“You're a big baby.”

“This is coming from the guy that didn't realise that he had staples in his head, after getting a boot in head during the Chelsea game.” I smirked.