Chapter 9

“Did you see that?” My dad happily mentioned. “She opened her eyes. God, I have missed seeing your blue eyes, Amelia.”

“Amelia, can you do that again for us?” The doctor asked, suddenly taking an interest in me since I briefly opened my eyes.

For you, no. For my family, yes.

“Chad, turn off the lights and close the curtains. It might be too bright for her,” my dad instructed.
Within seconds, the room went darker as the lights were turned off and the curtains were drawn.
"Okay, can everyone back up and give her some space. Better yet, please go and wait outside." The doctor told everyone.

“Amelia, we will be waiting right outside.” My dad kissed my forehead before ushering everyone out the room.

“Amelia, can you open your eyes again?” The doctor asked as soon as the door closed over, leaving me to be examined.
And here it goes.

1 hour later.

After I was closely examined by the doctor and nurses that came into the room, I had managed to keep my eyes open. Everything was dark and the only light coming into the room was from the crack in the curtain that covered the window looking out into the corridor of the hospital.

I was moved up into a slight sitting position on the bed when Joe came back into the room. I smiled weakly at him as he pulled a chair back up to the bed.
"How are you?" He asked me.
“Okay,” I whispered.
"Good," He smiled.
"Tell me," I forced, my voice coming out in less of a whisper. The smile faded and he looked down at his clasped hands. “I'm not stupid.”
He looked back up at me with tears forming in his eyes. "Did you know?"
“No,” I mumbled.
"When the doctors told me, I was in shock. They said the impact of the lorry hitting you was too much and-” He started. "I was the only one the doctor told because he wasn't too sure if anyone knew.”

I nod.

“I don't think I want anyone to know about it. It will only hurt them as much as it's hurting us. Plus, our age doesn't help that either."
"It'll be our secret," I agree.

If either of our families found out about, we would get the big lecture about protection and why we should have been more careful.

He smiled, making me feel happier and taking my thoughts away from the pain that started to form in my throat from overdoing it with speaking.
"I love you, Miss Halliwell."
"I love you too, Mr Hart."