Chapter 18

While out shopping with Phoebe, I received a text from Joe telling me that I had to wear something 'nice' tonight as he was taking me out. It still didn't explain why he was acting so weird but I made that my new excuse to go shopping.

Walking out of Selfridges with Phoebe, two of our four bodyguards carried our bags as we walked only a few feet in front of them and a few feet behind the other two. No doubt, when people saw us, they would automatically think we are spoiled brats who are too good to carry our own bags. Really not the case.
"What did you end up picking to wear for tonight?" Phoebe asked me.
"I've bought myself a red Herve Leger dress. He didn't say anything specific, so it's my usual style."
"Short?" She asked.
"Yeah," I smiled.
"He'll love you in it. He loves you in anything you wear.”
"I know. That's what makes him so wonderful."
The bodyguards placed out bags into the boot of the car as we got in the front of it, casually waiting for them to finish before starting to drive back to the house. The sound of the boot slamming shut told us they were done and we patiently waited for them to get into the unmarked cars before starting to go home.

On the journey home, we talked about weddings because our oldest sister, Anna, was getting married in a few weeks to her old high school boyfriend that she had gotten back together with at the charity event I met Joe at.

After taking my bags into the house and saying goodbye to Phoebe, she left. Sighing and looking at the time on my watch, I close the front door and lock it before making my way up the stairs to go for a quick shower and wash my hair. My hairdresser/make-up artist was due to be at the house for 5pm.

I came out of the en suite bathroom with my wet hair wrapped up in a towel and another towel wrapped round my body. I slowly walked towards the bed and looked down at the note lying on the bed.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, I reach for the note and start to read it:

'Hey beautiful,
I hope you've got something nice for tonight.
I've sent for someone to pick you up at 6:30pm.
I'm not saying where you're going but I'll see you tonight,

Joe
xx'

How did I not hear him come home? I shook my head and smiled because I knew he had his own little ways of doing things that went unnoticed by myself. I sit the note back down on the bed and get up to fully dry myself down, putting the new matching red underwear set on I got today.

I was pulling on a long black silk robe when the front door opened then closed. I frown and stop moving.
"Mia? Where are you?" A male voice echoed through the house. I locked that door! Damn Joe leaving it open for anyone to just walk in!
"I'm in the master bedroom!” I shouted back.
I quickly tie the robe up just in time as my hairdresser/make-up artist, William, was in the room looking at me.
"Thank god you washed your hair! Saves me from doing that," he laughed. "Right, downstairs so I can get you all dolled up and looking fabulous!"
He took hold of my hand and we walked down the stairs and into the dining room. He pushed me down onto a chair by my shoulders before he began to dry my hair.
William hadn't properly started doing my hair when there was a loud knock at the front door and he went to answer it. I could hear a range of muttering in the hall before he came back into the dining room holding a large bouquet of red roses.
"Someone loves you," he said, sitting the flowers down next to me on the table.
"Yeah, they do." I smiled, looking at the flowers.
William picked the hairdryer back up and finished drying my hair.

My hair was slightly curled and left down while my make-up was kept simple and natural. I looked at the time on the clock that hung on the wall to my left and noticed that it was going onto 6pm. I quickly got up off the chair and almost ran up the stairs to get my dress on.

I walked back down the stairs 20 minutes later in my red dress with a pair of black Louboutins in one hand, a matching clutch and black blazer in the other. I sat on the couch in the living room putting my shoes on when there was another knock at the door.
"Mia, time to go!" William called to me.
I took and deep breath and stood up, putting my jacket on and picking up my clutch bag before walking out into the hall.

I smiled at William and gave him a hug goodbye and walked out to the waiting car.