Chapter 39

It was almost 6pm when the film had finished. I looked up at Joe and noticed that he had fallen asleep. He looked so cute while he was sleeping. I pulled the blanket off, gently move out of his hold and stood up. I put the lights back on and turned the projector off. I took the disk out the DVD player and put it back in it's case.

I heard Joe starting to mumble and quietly put the DVD back in the cupboard. I closed the door over and turned round to see Joe standing in front of me. I jumped back a little because I didn't expect him to be standing behind there.
I playfully hit him, “I hate you!”
“Why?” He laughed.
“You did that on purpose!” I said, walking out the room.
“I didn't. I just stood up!” He replied while following me into the kitchen.
“Sure you did,” I smirked at him. “What do you want for dinner?”
He came up behind me and held onto my waist. “I want you.”
“I’m being serious. What do you want?” I said turning round to face him.
“I'm being serious too. I want you,” he said, kissing my neck.
“Joe, please stop.” I pleaded with him.
“Okay, I will.” He said and lett me go. “On a VERY serious note, I want a takeaway.”
“Oh, that sounds nice. I want a Chinese. Oh, but I want cookie dough ice-cream too.” I said, pulling at the bottom his top.
“Fine. Fine! I'll go and get the food,” he said, taking the hint and walking out into the hall to put his shoes and jacket on.
“Don't forget my ice-cream,” I said, following him out.
“How can I forget that?” He asked, picking his wallet and car keys up off the table at the side.
“You can't because I would kill you if you do. Plus, you would be starving our baby as they want it too.” I smiled.
“You wouldn't.” He narrowed his eyes at me.
I folded my arms over my chest and looked at him. “Who wouldn't?”
“Good point. I'll be back soon.” He said his words quickly and walked out of the house.
I shook my head and walked up the stairs to go and get changed into my shorts and tank top for when Joe came back with the food.
Ten minutes later I stepped out the bedroom and started to walk down the stairs. As I walked back down, I noticed that there was someone standing at the front door looking in. I didn't want to go down further, so I started going back up the stairs. I reached the top step when the person looked up at me.

My breath caught in my throat when I saw who it was. Paul Wilson. I started shaking as he tried to open the front door but stopped as soon as headlights began to approach. He looked up to me one last time and ran as the headlights grew brighter and brighter. I sat down on the step and started to cry.
A few minutes later, Joe came through the door carrying two bags. He locked the door and put the security alarm back on. He turned round and looked up at me. Dropping the bags, he ran up to me.
“Mia, what is? Is it the baby?” He asked worriedly. I shook my head and cried even more. He pulled me into his arms and held me close.

“Mia, tell me what-”
“He-he was at the door just before you came back. He tried to get in,” I told him.
He pulled back a little and looked at me. “Who? That-”
I nodded and he hugged me even tighter to his chest.
“Let's get you into bed and we can eat up here. Then once we're done, I'll phone your management to tell them and they can send some people round to guard the house while we're here.”

He helped me stand up and guided me back to the bedroom. I walked in and sat down on the bed. Joe turned round and started to walk back out the room. I looked out the french doors and noticed that Paul was standing in the back garden. I got off the bed and ran to Joe. I hugged him from behind and he turned to face me.
“He's in the back garden,” my shaky voice told him.
Joe moved quickly to the french doors and looked out to see him still standing there looking up at him. I ran over to the side of the bed and hit the panic button which would alert the police.
“Mia, come here.” Joe said, reaching out for me and taking my hand before we walked out the bedroom.

We went into the bedroom that was to be the babies nursery and left the light off. I sat down against the wall while Joe slowly walked into the walk-in wardrobe to see if he was still out there. Joe's silence told me he was still there.

We soon heard police sirens and Joe told me that he ran away. He picked me up and held me close as we walked out the room. Joe took me back into the bedroom to go to bed while he went down to the police and sorted everything out.
I eventually lay down in bed and closed my eyes. Just as I did, I felt a hand touch my shoulder and I jumped.
“It's okay. It's only me. You're fine,” Joe said, calming me down.
I began to cry and Joe held me to his bare chest.
“It's okay. I'm here. He's not going to get to you.”
I fell asleep in Joe's arms after he calmed me down.