"Last night when she relapsed ya' know she-she couldn't move,"

I nodded to let him know I was listening.

"Well she was so fucked up she needed help gettin' in da' tub, but when I tried she started straight freakin' out on my ass bruh, like she didn't even care bout' ha' condition no mo' she was beatin' my ass in nea'," He shook his head as he looked up at me,"She was scared of me Mel. Me! I would neva' hurt dis' girl Mel ery'body in dey' right mind know dat'."

His eyes made me understand where my brother was coming from, it hurt him to know that she thought he would hurt her, but he has to understand her feelings as well. That girl there has been through hell and back. True enough she made it out, but she still had the burns.

"What'cha not tellin' me lil bruh." I asked knowing it was more to the story.

He looked up at me with so much pain and hurt woven in his eyes, all the emotions he's hidden deep inside himself that even he forgot he had them. Every feeling he suppressed in his heart was now starting to form in his eyes.

I sat up on the couch making sure my own eyes were seeing correctly and to my surprise—they were. My baby brother, my youngest brother, was pouring out his heart through his eyes.

"Aug what happened, tell meh'."

"We got into'a argument afta' she let meh' help ha' in da' tub, I-I promised ta' keep my eyes closed da' whole time-,"

"Did ya'?" I interrupted.

He nodded his head so I told him to continue.

"I helped ha' get out da' tub and took ha' ta' ha' bed and sh-she ain't want no clothes she juss' wanted t-ta' wrap up in da' covers."

I waved my hand in a circular motion telling him I wanted him to keep going. If it had him this shaken up it must of been serious.

"She was unda' da' cover and I thought she was sleep, but she wasn't." He whispered trying to hide his tears that were clearly there.

"She s-said she trust me bruh, but she was scared of m-meseein' it, she didn't want me ta' see em' Mel." He cried as he caressed her cheek.

"Aug calm down, tell me what happened." I coached my raggedly breathing brother.

"Mel I seen, I-I seen ha',"

"Ha' scars, ya' seen ha' scars didn't ya'?" I questioned already knowing his answer.

"She ain't deserve dat' bullshit Mel, she ain't deserve it." He sat up so he could hold Mani close to his chest as if he was protecting her.

"Ya' know I said da' same thang when I found ha' on da' bench passed out. Dat' was da' first time we eva' met too and boy oh boy did she give meh' hell man." I chuckled thinking back to when we met.

I remember it like it was yesterday, seeing her body sprawled out on the bench in the bitter coldness of New Orleans.

I wanted to beat the fuck out of somebody, not her though it was clear to me that she was the victim in all of this, she was the one who had been handed to the world with nothing. At that time Chandra was pregnant and the only thing I could think about was what if that was my baby laying there beaten with dried up tears on her face.