CHAPTER CXXXIX

Andrew

For you my love, I would scorch the entirety of the world.

"Your Majesty, how about a short walk in the Imperial Eden?" Jodis, the Chancellor of our Empire, hovered over me, interrupting my focus on the mountain of paperwork I needed to finish by day's end.

"A walk?" I questioned, arching an eyebrow at him.

He smiled, almost teasingly. "You seem rather agitated when the Empress is away, I've noticed," He remarked.

I sighed deeply. "And what do you propose a walk will accomplish for me when you keep piling on more work?" I asked.

"A break is a break, Kiraz. I'm sure you could use it after spending hours cooped up in the office. You won't lose anything by stepping outside, I promise," He assured me.

I turned to gaze out the window, where the bright pink sun cast its warm beams of light into the room, almost beckoning me to bask in its glow. Perhaps a little sunshine wouldn't hurt, I thought to myself.

Slowly, I stood up. "Very well then, have the servants prepare a light meal for me to enjoy out there. I'll even bring some of my work along, if that pleases you," I conceded.

Jodis grinned. "I'm sure that will please the Empress more than myself. After all, she is the most efficient of us," He quipped. "You'll thank me later; my wife says a good balance of fresh air is good for the body and soul."

"You've become quite a different man since your marriage

"You've become quite a different man since your marriage. What happened to your shy and reserved self?" I teased.

"I could say the same to you, Your Majesty," He replied with a chuckle.

"How touching," I remarked dryly, unable to hide a smirk.

Jodis and I strolled through the Imperial Eden, Lavania's personal and extravagant garden that I had curated for her during her three-year war against Quigia. It was the largest among all the plots of land within the royal estate. Perhaps I hadn't initially intended for it to be as grand as it had become, but as Jodis had pointed out, I grew anxious when she was not around.

I knew she was safe, but whenever thoughts of her crossed my mind, I found myself engaging in projects like this to occupy my time and distract myself from the rising anxiety of her absence.

Eden was a delight to be in, even for just a light stroll. I was grateful that Lavania found comfort here; that had been the goal all along. She visited every day, sometimes multiple times, seeking refuge and peace amidst the chaos of our lives. Especially in the heart of the city, finding such tranquility amidst nature could be challenging.

The gardens were meticulously designed, with paths leading to various themed sections inspired by nations of the Iapias continent and their architectural styles. There were stunning small waterfall lakes, vast fields for relaxation, towering fountains with shimmering water cascading down, dense forests with exotic trees and flowers imported to delight Lavania's botanical interests, gazebos, a greenhouse, and more. No expense had been spared, and seeing her face light up as she explored Eden, day or night, brought me more joy than any treasure or conquest ever could.