CHAPTER XLI

Melinda

If we just step back a little, what would happen?

Hanover, New Hampshire; Age 18.

"So you and Andrew... you both seem really close it seems." I turned slightly to the sound of Samatha's voice that was beside me in our chemistry course lecture. My roommate and I shared many similar courses so we tended to be around each other more than I expected with someone that I shared a room suite with, but it was nice because Sam was my friend and she was into science things just as I was.

She and I could go on for hours about different topics and what our plans for the future were about revolutionizing the science field.

Samantha had been a great source of comfort in finding my footing here at Dartmouth as everything was completely new and unheard of for me. Sam made friends easily as expected from her extroverted personality; people just seemed to gravitate to her in the way that individuals did with Andrew. It was hard sometimes getting used to having such large groups of unfamiliar people around me, they seemed nice enough though, and weren't bothered when I spoke up about certain things.

At least, I think they didn't.

It wasn't a surprise that Sam was asking for a bit more information about Andrew, after all, he was over our room a lot either hanging out or studying with us if he wasn't busy with football. I'm sure Samantha had taken a liking to him because they both had common interests in things that they would go on and on about.

I nodded, "Andrew and I have known each other since we were babies. We've always been together." I responded. As always, I was used to questions like this, people outside of the circle Drew and I had drawn around each other were always fascinated by how comfortable we were together; they constantly loaded me with questions about how we managed to be so close as a guy and girl, if we fought a lot, if we let each other date other people... odd questions if I do say so myself, but I answered them to the best of my abilities.

I found their fascination to be rooted more so in Andrew's relative attractiveness to guys his age and his popularity with how well he did in football propelling others to want to get close to him through me.

Samantha smiled alluringly, she pressed her hand under her chin and sighed, "It must be difficult sometimes, huh?" She asked.

I furrowed my brow, "Difficult about what?"

Her eyes continued to observe me heavily, I avoided her gaze, fiddling with my half-open textbook as a way to not be bothered by it. I didn't like it very much when people stared me in the eyes, it was distracting so in order to keep focused on the conversation that was being had, I zeroed in on other things like intimate objects.

 I didn't like it very much when people stared me in the eyes, it was distracting so in order to keep focused on the conversation that was being had, I zeroed in on other things like intimate objects