CHAPTER III

Melinda

Believing in the past.

Jannie Victoria Morrison, born originally in Kingston Jamaica on July 11th, 1965, the 3rd daughter of an eight-person family household, left Jamaica at 14 years of age for better education and opportunity. Thus, she made her way and landed in the United States—specifically Boston, Massachusetts to live with her eldest sister who would watch over her while she got settled in.

Jannie was incredibly intelligent and forward-thinking. At school, she may have struggled with relating to the culture and difference in upbringing as a result of living her entire life in Jamaica, but she didn't let that stop her from maintaining high scores on her assignments and standardized testing.

She was destined for greatness.

Jannie went on to college to earn her degree in Nursing Administration with hopes of becoming an RN herself; she had graduated at the top of her class. Things had mostly gone well for her at this point, she was making her family at home proud, and she was creating a life where she could provide for herself and would no longer have to rely on anyone else.

After all, she had even gained the ability to care for herself as her elder sister had decided to leave the U.S. and return back to Jamaica, so she had no choice but to fend for herself.

Even as she studied at university, she ensured she was working enough hours that she could afford her bills. She was determined. A hard worker. A hustler in modern terms.

Then she fell in love.

Having moved to Springfield, Massachusetts for cheaper accommodation and living standards due to the city being so highly-priced, she made a home for herself there. She met a guy, George Kolster, who she had convinced herself was everything she needed at the time. A soaring career, a home... and now, a partner. George said all the right things. Loved her tenderly, planned a future so bright, Jannie could hardly see it herself.

Then Jannie became pregnant.

She was worried, she had been saving up for nursing school as it wasn't cheap. Her finances were quite tight, but she made it work, but now she was going to have a baby, things would become more difficult.

Expecting the love of her life to assist in this new direction in their lives, she told him the news of him becoming a father. Unfortunately, George was anything but ecstatic about the announcement. He yelled, he screamed, and he told Jannie to get rid of it; that he wasn't ready to be a father and he could barely make ends meet.

Jannie had never seen this side of her lover and was completely caught off-guard. And what made it worse, when she insisted she would keep the child, he threw a fit and left.

Jannie waited for him to come back. For him to come to his sense. For him to apologize. For him to be the father she needed him to be for their unborn child.

But he never did.

George was long gone.

Jannie then gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named Melinda Sophia Morrison not too soon after that. She gave her daughter the maiden name of her own because George couldn't be bothered to show up to see his first child come into the world.

From that point forward, Jannie had closed herself off. She had become a wall that was quite difficult to tear down, a shell of herself, one filled with many trust issues. Her goals were simple and straight to the point.

Survive and succeed.

That was the story of my birth. I hadn't met my father until years later when the pain and hurt had already settled in.