CHAPTER LXXV

Melinda

The rise of the tides, and the orange ocean sparkles with new possibilities.

"So... you're running away?"

"Yes, that would be correct."

Silence rang through the Da Brenci household as I stood before the family members in a cloak covering the incapacious clothing I had thrown on after ordering my handmaidens to prepare everything for us to leave for Kladena.

After getting surprised by Enos's sudden proposal, I was far too freaked out to stay at my own estate; I didn't know what my parents were thinking or if they were in alliance with marrying me to my friend unbeknownst to me. I know my father promised me that I wouldn't have to marry until I was at least twenty, but I freaked out and immediately went into emergency situation mode.

When I burst into the room, of course, Ronis had been caught off-guard but it wasn't as if I hadn't spoken of the possibility of having to leave abruptly with her. As soon as she knew that the time had come, she sprung into action. She gathered all my necessities, clothing, shoes, and more; Vibiana was told to call for Sir Sundri.

I informed my personal knight that I was going to leave the house come nighttime when everything was settled. He was shocked to hear I was doing a thing, but I told him he was either gonna help or I was going to leave him behind, his choice.

Of course, due to his loyal and diligent nature that got him the position of my personal knight, to begin with, he accepted. He got a carriage ready for me and loaded up all my things and when the time came, Vibi, Ronis, Sundri and I made out way to Kladena.

I asked Chandrelle if she'd like to come with me since she was the only other than my closest associates that I told that I was leaving and she advised that she would stay down here for a bit and let me know things in case it got rocky just so mother and father didn't have a panic attack; she reminded that when I did officially come up "missing" father's ravens would go out and search and it was best for me not send them out and just write letters until things calmed down.

"I will pose an excuse to attempt to persuade you to come back, so be patient and I will see you then," I recalled her saying.

Before truly leaving, though I thought to send a letter to the Countess to let her know what was going on and for her to reply at the estate in Kladena while also not arousing suspicion and stopped by the Da Brenci estate to tell my best friend where I was going so she didn't worry about me while I was gone.

Which landed me here.

I didn't expect that her entire family would be in the informal reception room when I arrived but they were, of course, both Soril's parents were concerned about why I was here so late, so I decided to just tell them why I headed to Kladena, that Enos proposed to me, and that the territory belonged to me and it was best for me to stay there for a while so I could clear my head and also take time to really oversee my region.

They were shocked. Of course who wouldn't hear what I had managed to do under everyone's noses? If they had been flabbergasted when I made my announcement at the Festival of Dance, well they were truly floored about my status as a Duchess and the fact that I was running away for the time being to get away from the capital and the proposal of Enos.

Fenrir cleared his throat, ceasing the silence that had invaded the presence of this room, "Is there anything else you're not telling us, such as being the reigning monarch of a secret nation or maybe that you can transform into a large beast and destroy all of us this instant?!" He exclaimed.

"Hm..." I thought for a moment, "No, that's all I can think of at the moment. If I do happen to be able to successfully complete a metamorphosis into another species I will tell you first Lord Fenrir." I informed him.