CHAPTER CXXX

Melinda

When a bird parts its wings, many eyes turn to witness its glory.

"Marriage? Is that the request you bring before me?"

"Yes, Your Majesty, that is precisely what we are asking."

"Both you and Sundri?"

"Yes."

I cast a gaze between Ronis, my Chief Head of Secretarial Affairs, and Sir Sundir, my esteemed personal imperial knight since my early adolescence. These two figures had been integral to my life for as long as memory served, their roles evolving significantly from their more modest positions during my younger years to the prominent roles they now held within the hierarchy of the Empire, considering my current standing as the Empress of Vesneau.

Sundri now spearheaded the management and training of the sub-sections comprising the Imperial Knights and soldiers entrusted with the protection of the Empress's faction, whether that entailed safeguarding my children or overseeing smaller groups on designated missions. When not directly at my side, Sundri diligently collaborated with the Sphere of Combat to ensure the comprehensive training of all individuals under his command.

On the other hand, Ronis, much like Sundri, remained a constant presence by my side, ensuring the seamless execution of my daily agenda. Transitioning from grooming me and managing my bedtime routine to her current role as a Marchioness overseeing those responsible for such tasks, Ronis had risen through the ranks and achieved feats that once seemed unattainable.

 Transitioning from grooming me and managing my bedtime routine to her current role as a Marchioness overseeing those responsible for such tasks, Ronis had risen through the ranks and achieved feats that once seemed unattainable

It was heartening to witness my closest confidants ascend in stature, successfully accomplishing goals that were once distant aspirations. However, their unexpected joint request had left me considerably perplexed.

"Together?" I reiterated, my mind grappling with the comprehension of the unexpected proposal.

This time, Sir Sundri cleared his throat, opting for a more straightforward approach to dispel any confusion. "I understand this might be surprising, Your Majesty." I raised my hand, signaling that such formalities were unnecessary in our current setting.

He swiftly corrected himself and continued, "Lavania, Ronis and I have discussed this for some time now—over several months—so this decision has not been made in haste," He explained.

I pursed my lips. "But marriage? I thought you had no desire for such a thing before. You even declined any honorable titles bestowed upon you after the numerous wars we fought because of your willingness to stay by my side."

Sundri had been resolute, even years ago when I had inquired about his aspirations to potentially leave his position, start a family, or pursue higher opportunities. He had staunchly refused, expressing contentment with his current role. Unlike ordinary individuals who longed for romantic companionship and the possibility of having children, Sundri had no such sentiments. Although he appreciated the idea of companionship from a distance, the prospect of it becoming a reality in his own life was disagreeable, to say the least.