CHAPTER XCVII

Melinda

When all pockets have run dry and empty who do you turn to?

"Glory to Vesneau!"

"Praise to the King and Queen of the nation!"

"May the Divines bless this enthronement!"

My eyes fell out onto the scenery as I watched the countless citizens of the nation of Vesneau holler and shout in excitement as they watched our carriage pass them by in the streets that were securely blocked off to allow the official coronation procession to ride through the streets in all it's glory.

Never in my life had I experienced such a celebration of sorts, nothing close in my life. I had graduations, award ceremonies, and research debuts but the sensation of being greeted by the people of the country you would now be serving for the rest of your life—watching as their eyes fill up with hope and wonder further buried me with a sense of responsibility so novel I knew I would have to do everything in my power to ensure their future happiness and safety.

We would ensure that. Andrew and I.

"My Queen!"

"Queen Lavania!"

"Praise be the blessed Queen of our nation!"

All of them were calling for me. Yet, I felt rather unaccomplished for the joyous praise they sang of my name. Quite frankly, I was a bit overwhelmed by it all, the crowd and whatnot, though we remained in the carriage together, the noise somewhat muted by the boxiness of the vehicle and the loud gallops of the many horses in front and around us.

"Are you comfortable?" I turned slightly to the sound of Andrew's voice, sitting beside me his previous attention had deviated from his side of the carriage to where I sat in a contemplative mood.

"Yes," I replied.

His eyes continued to survey me slowly, "I know crowds bother you a bit, but it's only a way left before we made it to the execution square." He reminded me.

"I know." I simply retorted.

Andrew cleared his throat and slowly snaked his fingers through mine, interlocking them where they fit the best. He brought my hands up and kissed my knuckles lightly. "Melinda... Lavania... my Queen. If there is anything that displeases you, please tell me." He advised.

I turned to him slightly, his pink eyes twinkling against the light of divinity that sparkled out beside us and over the carriage; it was stunning really how they managed to transform the downtown area—or shall I say my family and the Da Brencis. A lot of what we know of the ceremony and celebration were footed by the costs of the only two powerful mage/sage families in this country, so there was nothing really a person could not desire and not have served to them on a golden platter.