CHAPTER LXXIX

Melinda

The breaking point of an era becomes its focal point.

"You've been awfully quiet for some time, it's making me nervous."

I blinked several times, regaining my senses momentarily in an effort to remind myself where I was at the moment and what was happening to me.

Andrew was proposing to me!

His previous words echoed in my mind, replaying over and over again, almost as if someone had intentionally played it on a loop; an earworm that refused to let up until I had made a decision for myself.

"We'll figure it out. You don't have to tell me you love me or that you feel the same way. I just want to know that I'll have you by my side through it all as we make a path together. If I am to be the sun that shines upon the kingdom, then you are the moon that glimmers across the people. Please be my other half, I refuse to ask anyone but you."

His other half... Andrew has always been my other half. We've been friends our entire lifetimes, in the past and this one. I always saw him as the direct opposite of me; when he would smile, I would frown, and when his charming nature would draw others around him, my abrasive personality would repulse and deter people from wanting to indulge with me further.

We were such polar opposites in many ways it was hard for me even to sit and ponder about it, yet we fit so well together; like missing pieces of a puzzle, a ying to a yang.

As he had said previously, I had been proposed to many times, and none of those proposals meant anything to me; I lacked any sentimental feelings behind the greed and the overzealous nature of the aristocrats who simply wanted to use me for gain. I wasn't a person in their eyes, I was a commodity to be used and discarded when I no longer fit the narrative.

I was my own person when I was with Andrew, I could excel with him; he would never hold me back, nor tell me to dim my shine no matter how much my brightness overshadowed his.

He may think I was superior to him in many ways and that may be true in the realms of scientifical study, but he certainly overtook me when it came to formulating the verbal meaning of my existence to him.

He wanted me to be his moon.

And the longer I stood there, the more I desired that for myself. I thought because I loved Andrew dearly, I would sacrifice marrying my close friend, Enos in exchange that I tackle the issue of Kiraz going off to battle by himself, but this suggestion—of him and I marrying each other far outweighed the disappointment of having to sacrifice my autonomy in order to submit to my husband.

With Andrew, I could be his equal partner, we could see eye to eye; we wouldn't have to worry about subjecting ourselves to this world's societal norms and expectations. Behind closed doors, we could fully and truly be ourselves.

I swallowed hard, my heart was beating rather fast. Faster than when I trained extraneously with the sword on my hardest day, I nearly felt faint as the feeling of heat rushing up against my face reminded me of the warm climate we were currently inhabiting. When Andrew told me he was engaged to the Princess of Aurisia, I didn't feel right, angered even.

Perhaps I was selfish, living in blissful ignorance that just like me, Andrew would have to the choice to wed whoever he pleased. Should he ever fall in love with that person...

But the feeling of him turning his eyes to gaze in the direction of another terrified me. We never got the chance to meet partners that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together with on Earth. Would I have felt the same way? Fear?... Anger?