CHAPTER XLIII

Melinda

The one to make a difference shows promise.

Stamford CT, Age 33.

"Dr. Morrison... I'm sorry to bother you while you work, but is it possible that you've made a decision concerning working with the German pharmaceutical company on the joint-research project? Everyone is curious if you okay'd it."

I kept my vision laser-focused on the material I was currently synthesizing for extraction in front of me. I had been working on this for several weeks, a simple way to get what I needed out of the sample I had created for this new medical drug I was formulating to assist in the delay and progression of Aceruloplasminemia, a rare genetic disorder characterized by the abnormal accumulation of iron in the brain and various internal organs. I, along with my hand-picked team had been tasked to work on figuring out a way to slow the process, or better yet cure it. This project had been handed down to me by none other than the owner of this high-tech lab I had been working for the past seven years.

Mr. C.

The owner of this entire establishment, or should I say benefactor, who was some sort of secret billionaire who poured a lot of his money into Valiant Testing and Laboratories, otherwise known as VTL to the team; it was a privately-owned laboratory that focused on the manufacturing and production of a plethora of medical and scientifical products whether that be life-altering medications or quality of living products for well-known bodily aliments that weren't necessarily readily available in the market.

VTL did a lot and had been alive and well for decades before I came around, so it was quite the honor that not only I got to work here, but being granted such autonomy to research and work on projects that I held near and dear to my heart

VTL did a lot and had been alive and well for decades before I came around, so it was quite the honor that not only I got to work here, but being granted such autonomy to research and work on projects that I held near and dear to my heart. Receiving a project right from the founder of this establishment was a privilege given to only the brightest and most successful of the lab employees so I was ensuring that I put my heart and soul into the discovery of something ground-breaking for Mr. C.

It was also why I hated being disturbed when I was in the middle of my bench work like I was currently doing right now. I felt a little bad that I was actively ignoring Dr. Elara Young, a post-doc that was working under me for two years now when she was simply inquiring about something that a lot of my team had been pestering me about but when my focus was honed in onto something, I couldn't help but give it my fullest attention.

I adjusted my sample and looked at the table I had listed in front of me to see if any changes had been made to the sample and sighed. I recorded my findings sloppily in my notebook beside me.

Another bust. I had to look deeper into this matter. I hated being this perplexed regarding something that was entirely foreign to me despite the fact that I had spent weeks looking into the disease. This particular disease was an iron overload disorder one of those rare inherited diseases that not many had ventured into to study. I mean what could be done to stop such a thing that affected anyone from the ages of 20 to 60? The three main findings associated with aceruloplasminemia that I studied were retinal degeneration, neurological symptoms, and diabetes mellitus.