CHAPTER CXXIII

Muirine

The love of the unloved.

"Isn't this a lovely scenery to bask in, Your Excellence, Lady Muirine?"

"Indeed it is! Magic is such a useful tool. With colder weather, this garden remains warm and fit for outdoor tea parties."

"That I can agree with! I surely wished I had magical abilities... perhaps it would enhance my marriage prospects."

Around me, I sat diligently watching the delighted faces of the noble ladies that I chose to spend the afternoon with me enjoying tea and small delicacies.

All of them were slightly younger than me but had a lot of potential to rise within the social scene so long as I continued molding them in the fashion I desired. Within the fold of women I had recruited underneath my cause, they were the newest and the absolute key in ensuring I kept my place as the top of high society ladies that ran the social scene.

Their only job—to support me as the first noble consort of the Emperor.

So long as they knew their place, they would always be allotted a precious invitation to the palace—specifically Logoria where they could spend time in the Haven Garden, my personal and private grounds where I could host gatherings and do as I pleased.

One of the many luxuries afforded to me and the Emperor's woman.

As I reclined on the ornate wrought-iron bench, my fingers grazed the delicate petals of a nearby rosebush, releasing a subtle fragrance that danced in the gentle breeze. The garden was a sanctuary of beauty and tranquility, a hidden gem within Logoria Palace reserved solely for my enjoyment and pleasure. I found many comforts here when it was just me strolling about, away from the bustle of things that filled my mind endlessly with anguish.

 I found many comforts here when it was just me strolling about, away from the bustle of things that filled my mind endlessly with anguish

Around me, my dearest friends, Lady Cassandra, Lady Melitta, Lady Zoe, and Lady Decima, shared the blissful ambiance. The dappled sunlight filtered through the dense foliage overhead, casting a mosaic of shadows on the ground, and the soft chirping of birds created a soothing symphony.

Our tea party spread was a sight to behold, a tableau of pastel hues and delectable aromas. The cucumber sandwiches beckoned with their creamy allure, while the petit fours glistened with fondant icing like miniature jewels. The macarons, delicate and flavorful, melted in our mouths.

As I took a sip of aromatic jasmine tea, its floral notes mingled with the scents of the blossoms that surrounded us. It was a moment of pure serenity, a pause in our busy lives as we relished this enchanting garden and the delightful company it hosted.

"Of course it is charming, isn't it? Aren't you glad I invited you all to have tea with me?" I asked the girls.

"Oh, of course, Your noble excellence!" Lady Cassandra called out with a bright and excited grin.