CHAPTER LXXXVI

Andrew

I will take your head in place of you destroying and taking my heart from me.

"I can't believe it's already over just like that!"

"I know, it beats losing extra soldiers over a pointless fight. They were cornered and knew it, but they refused to give the city back... only to find out they were going to surrender anyway."

"Do you think he just wanted us to see his face before he left? He seems rather arrogant even if he is a young commander, the Prince still seems about our age or so." Fenrir commented.

Tychon rubbed the back of his head and sighed deeply, "I think at that age, if you have many people telling you that you're right, your ego may become inflated." He looked over to where I was sitting at the edge of the tent nursing a small cup of blue wine and smirked.

"But he is still a skilled tactician and leader for his age which is admirable, but even the great have to fall at some point." He finished.

I scoffed slightly, "Sounds like the future story of our father... the near future, I mean." I said.

Tychon and Fenrir both looked at me, but it was my brother who frowned and walked over, leaning across a dresser casually. He had already finished his glass of wine for the night and didn't plan on having another, it was already well into the evening, and most were either sleeping, heading to bed, or partying it up for their first battle victory since coming to Eerly.

I for one did not necessarily partake in the gatherings, like Melinda, an odd feeling of uncertainty had mixed in with my emotions of anxiousness and the abrupt end to the fighting.

A feeling that I couldn't shake that this was not how it was supposed to end.

Maybe that was the cynical side of me refusing to realize that our hands were now clean; we had fulfilled our request to return home with a win, and now all that was left was the wedding and dealing with my father's treason

Maybe that was the cynical side of me refusing to realize that our hands were now clean; we had fulfilled our request to return home with a win, and now all that was left was the wedding and dealing with my father's treason. But this arch didn't particularly feel finished to me.

"Brother, are you dismayed that there wasn't a bit more action before the conclusion? Sometimes these things happen, and you can't always expect a large spectacle in these kinds of political board games.... war can be so unpredictable. One day you are the winner, the next, a loser." He advised.

I nodded, "I know. But I'm just worried is all. Lavee feels the same like something isn't right." I said as I took a few more sips of my drink.

Fenrir sat his wine glass down and cleared his throat, "Well, fear not your Highness, we have top mages and sages at our disposable and they are securing our every being with aura barriers... the only way something like this could be penetrable is if they came with their mightiest forces." He assured me.

I sighed deeply, "Nothing is guaranteed in the world, not even life. But I thank you for the intel."

Tychon reached over and messed with my hair a bit, "Now you're truly sounding like an old man... lighten up a bit, brother. Your first battle and you return a victor, that something to be proud of."