CHAPTER XIII

Melinda

A breath of fresh air, for some.

I was dejected the entire first leg of the trip, so much I hadn't realized we finally made it to the first stop. Now the horses were able to rest and the remainder of us could retire for the night after spending several hours riding in the carriage.

The checkpoint inn wasn't anything particularly fancy, especially for passing nobles, but the attentive service of the patrons manning the place definitely made up for it as they ensured that our group had everything we needed for a restful night before heading back out onto the road.

We had a hearty bowl of soup and an assortment of loaves of bread and meats, followed by a delicious butter cake served by the matron of the small inn.

During bedtime, Nanny Addel assisted in helping me wash up a bit and was braiding my hair for sleep when she brought up my very visible sour mood.

"Lavania... has something upset you today? Was the carriage ride uncomfortable? Or are you still hungry?" She questioned me in a hushed whisper.

The room was still and silent as it was only nanny and me in the space, a small fire was set up to keep the room warm, the temperature already had managed to drop during the evening, so a slight cool breeze was ushering its way through the area we...

The room was still and silent as it was only nanny and me in the space, a small fire was set up to keep the room warm, the temperature already had managed to drop during the evening, so a slight cool breeze was ushering its way through the area we had stopped in.

I struggled with the need to lay everything out for Addel. Afterall, she seemed very much trustworthy and kind, but what would she think of the lingering thoughts I had about the people we passed in the city on our way to Bria? Would she too have compassion as well; she herself seemed to be a well-put-together individual who knew etiquette, could dress, and speak elegantly.

I was positive to a degree that she could not relate to that level of poverty.

Though I decided to test it out anyway, just to analyze the depths of her mind and see where she stood in matters such as this. Besides, I had already made a vow to myself to look more into Vesneau's internal national affairs and get acquainted with why such things were happening to begin with.

It wouldn't hurt to just be informed, right?

"Those people we saw in the city..." I began.

Nanny looked at me with a furrowed gaze, her fingers slipping slighty within the strands of my hair she was braiding. "The nobles?" She recalled.

I shook my head rapidly, "No... the commoners... the ones in the slum areas." I specified.

"Ah..." She breathed deeply before continuing with my hair. "What is your question?" She urged me to continue.