CHAPTER LXIII

Melinda

A fast train may never slow done, but one must step in front of it to cease the motion.

Istanbul, Turkey; Age 33.

"Do you like him? If not, can you help a sister out?"

My co-worker, Zara's voice echoed in my head like a broken record.

It's just a simple question I could shake my head no at but for some reason, my heart felt heavy and my throat clamped up when I try to decline it.

Andrew has been nothing but my best friend. He's always been there to celebrate with me for every breakthrough, every frustration, and joy I've ever had in my life which all revolves around my job and my ever-changing interests. With such a strong, reliable shoulder, a head balanced with logic and imagination, and a heart of gold, he's the most perfect bachelor I could ever think of.

Yet my gut twisted at the thought of them ever getting along, which is an odd feeling to experience. It scares me to dare think of my hatred stretching far enough to affect other girls.

Zara is a formidable choice, but not enough. No one shines bright enough to stand beside Andrew. Too dim or too bright might affect his unique glow.

Wait, why am I even overthinking who should be matched with Andrew?

When Mr. C the owner of the lab Valiant Testing and Laboratories organized a work vacation in Europe—a treat for all the high-performing scientists within our field, I expected myself to relax in a pool of champagne or fall asleep in one of the train viewing rooms with a book in hand. Hell, I should be indulging myself with the scenery. Yet here I am, staring blankly at my reflection in the mirror as Zara's words from yesterday ricocheted in my head.

"Do you like him?"

If you define seeing twinkles materialize out of thin air whenever you look at your best friend as me liking him then of course. He was my friend, how could I not? But I don't recall ever feeling those butterflies in my stomach whenever I look at him like google says it should've.

"Do you like him?"

But seeing the difficulty I had in choosing between the easiest choices of 'yes' and 'no', is it possible that there's been a stronger connection establishing itself without my notice? But how?

"Mellie?"

Andrew's voice pierced through the haze and I woke up, turning to the closed door before hurrying to pick up my purse to leave. Have I been trapped in my thoughts for so long that he had to check up on me?

"Are you clogging the toilets again with your fat shit?"

Whatever light feeling that got my limbs airy from hearing him, dispersed with no trace left after that statement. Rolling my eyes as I left the comfort room to face him.