CHAPTER XCVI

Andrew

Turn your head back again and brace yourself for the revolution.

"I don't think I understand what you're saying, your Highness."

"No?"

"Something such as this is unprecedented... unheard of in the history of Vesneau."

I chuckled to myself, shifting a bit in the seat of my current temporary office in Paurence Palace; it would be merely days where not only my official residence but the permanent office would be transferred over to Mirxador Palace—the central estate where the king resides and carries on his lawful duties.

Now that my father was a recognized prisoner of the state and has been stripped of his title of King, the current seat remains empty... just for the time being until a coronation takes place. The issue of succession after my father wasn't an issue, after all, I had been named Crown Prince after my elder brother had "passed" so it would be simply to pass on what was now due to me.

But issues would arise like with any transfer of power. Tychon was willing to relinquish his place as a former prince to take the throne, but nobles who had initially backed him when he was the original heir-apparent would most likely be fighting to get their coveted goose back where they think he belongs.

It was always a fight with aristocrats, one that brother had played into as a naive child, but no longer would as a man now with a wife and a family to provide for.

My brother did not wish to burden the responsibility of King; he has explicitly stated that numerous times to me. He saw what it had done to his mother and father and with his rare abilities of the shadow; he could not work in the background as he was accustomed to. Someone like a king—who needed to be visible at all times, had no place for a power that was meant to be kept a secret within the bloodline of the divine descendants of Sithik.

This meant it was now my duty to carry the wish of my late uncle and the Caliphate; what they had wished for in the beginning before it was all abruptly taken away.

But I would not do it alone. One person could not bring a change so great it would disturb what many have known to be normal for their entire lives.

My wife, Melinda, would be by my side throughout it all.

Reigning as my Queen, Vesneau's Queen...

And my validated co-ruler.

A Queen-regent.

She would not be looked down upon as a simple woman incapable of making decisions, nor would she be marked with the obligation to hurry and produce heirs the moment my bottom touched the velvet cushion of the Vesnesian throne.

I would not allow it.

We would not permit it.

"I know this is something uncommon in our time Holy Mother, but I summoned you here because you will be the one officiating the ceremony due in less than two weeks. I need to ensure you understand the extent that things will change pending my enthronement." I slowly stood from my seat, circling at my desk, the same one I had spent many days as a young prince, learning, thinking... adjusting, and leaning against it casually.

The Archbishop's gaze followed my movements and never faltered as I continued to speak. "The crown and the church have always been an entity fused together by the Divine Gods. I would like to keep that relationship strong and to ensure that, we need to have a united front, your Holiness."

The Holy Mother pursed her lips, "And if I do not agree?" She questioned.