CHAPTER XXIV

Melinda

The splendor of an estate matches its pride.

I didn't believe it to be possible for the Skellack Estate to become far grander than it already was, but I had been mistaken. The large adorned building already from a simple glance could be mistaken for a palace if one really wanted to, but it seemed while my siblings and I were gone the home I had essentially grown up in for some time had improved massively.

The first thing that captured my attention was the light fixtures.

As I had noted previously, this nation in particular didn't seem to have access to the technologies that the Iapas continent, specifically the Cluyzian Empire had to improve their daily standards of living. Thus, as a result, candles were used at an extremely high rate in order to guide individuals through the dark; fireplaces were also used as a source of heating for when it was particularly cooler in the day and such.

It was an inconvenience, one that many people had lived through themselves and were accustomed to. I, on the other hand, came from a world where a simple flick of a light switch was the difference between aimlessly walking in the dark or perfectly navigating an area in a room.

Finally, such luxuries were now to be a common thing. Though, unlike light switches, these particular luminous crystals as they were called were engineered to be used with a mineral control panel. It kind of resembled a remote control, but in reality, it was far cooler looking than that.

Its buttons were made with receptive neutral stones called Black Braznet that interacted with the luminous crystals so that variables such as brightness, intensity, and even color could be controlled with ease. It was made that way so that individuals who could not use magic were also able to use the resource as magic was not a natural given thing in this country unless you came from someone with power.

The mineral panel, so long as it was in the vicinity of the luminous crystal could also be used with a simple clap or snap; the vibrations from that action were used as a quick and easy alternative to switching the lights on and off.

Mother and Nanny Addel were already used to controlling the mineral panel and they both relished as young girls with playing with the different light and colors in their home back in Cluyze. The thought that light energy and magic were now just coming to Vesneau decades later after the creation made me want to laugh.

As innovative and creative this new technology provided, the logical side of my brain pondered on where the source of life would be generated for places like streets and storefronts.

Would they be individually generated or would they be on a grid-like system like the earth with its power grids and such? It was something that tickled my mind whenever my grandfather brought up the implementation of the light source in the city. Bria was the next city that was getting the new crystals after the capital and grandfather had been busy preparing for such things. I even went along with him when the underground base was being built to house the larger mother crystal that would help facilitate the light to corresponding crystals in the area.