The Unanswerable Question from a King

Y/n's POV

I've been 'allowed to stay' with Izana since he brought me here. Allowed meaning if I leave, I'll be able to go, but straight to my death, I'm sure. It's confusing that he keeps around, takes care of my needs, and even demands to know if I am feeling well while at the same time his tone is always cold, he always seems angry with his motions, and losing his patience with me is a daily thing.

"Are you really so stupid not to bring your phone? Or are you hiding it somewhere on you?" The question came out of nowhere. His gaze was so focused on me, it made it hard to breathe without being terrified.

"I didn't bring it." My answer came out much shakier than intended, but he simply nodded in acknowledgement.

"Glad to know your stupidity is consistent at least." The words dripped from his lips in a way that cut through me like a knife.

It hurt. It hurt....and pissed me off.

"If I'm so stupid, then why keep me here 'Zana? Is that all you know how to do is throw insults left and right instead of being human?!" Even as I said it, hot tears rolled down my cheeks onto my shirt.

Nothing is changing. Not one thing!

"I've been here with you for two days and all you do is be cruel with your words and then be kind with your actions. WHY!?" I screamed the last bit out of pure frustration. The tears kept coming to the point that I couldn't make out his facial features anymore.

He's probably so angry and I'll die but I can't keep...

"I'm not a toy, 'Zana. I'm not a freaking chess piece. I just wanted to talk to you."

"Why?" The words came from him so suddenly and calmly, it was almost scarier than if he screamed back.

I let out an incredulous huff. "What do you mean 'why'? Why what??" I cried.

He makes no sense. He's asking why like he cares but treats me like a sworn enemy even though we've never met!

He cocked his head to the side before slowly taking steps toward me. I stood my ground, tired of fighting, tired of losing. Just so tired.

"Why would you want to talk to me? I'm sure you know at least a few of the things I've done or had someone else do for me. I've had your friends beaten and even Baji killed. Yet here you are. You willingly came to find me." He was only a breath away when he stopped, eyeing me down as if trying to see the thoughts going through my mind.

I.....what?

I looked down for a moment as I tried to come up with an answer. He isn't wrong. Memories of everything I had endured until now felt like they were painfully clawing its way out from inside of my bones. The longer I thought, the less it made sense.

I willingly came HERE of all places...

Why do I care...He's hurting, I know he is...but he's hurting others while he's hurting and I came here like I could do more...like it didn't matter...