When the heart beats for you

a/n: If it is only slanted, it is the reader POV. Slanted and underlined, someone else's. If it is both and bold, the reader and a character think it together.

I went straight to the kitchen to start grabbing snacks. Since my aunt is working more often, I have made it a habit to cook more and save it for the week following. I even managed to make Dorayaki, but I'm still working on Taiyaki.

I asked for Emma's input on whether or not she thought it tasted ok a few days ago.

She had taken the first bite and when her eyes went wide, I assumed it was nasty or something and felt sad until she said, "Y/n, are you sure YOU cooked this?"

Okay, now I'm offended.

I pushed out my bottom lip before saying, "Of course I made it! I don't feel like blowing my money on anything I can possibly make just as good or better."

"Better." Emma mumbled with a full mouth.

I love you bestie!

Remembering her reaction, I went and grabbed the container of what I had put aside especially for Mikey next time I saw him.

"Hey, Y/n?" Mikey suddenly spoke up.

I had my back facing them as they sat at the table and I was in the pantry.

I hummed as a response while I pulled out the Dorayaki.

"Did you happen to go anywhere today? Maybe see any fights or something?"

Okay, I am gonna die. Not because I Mikey will kill me, but because I cannot for the life of me lie! Everyone I have met, including Mikey, knows that if I try to lie, not only do I stutter, but my brain seems to crash entirely and I can't make even one coherent sentence come out of my mouth. Which is how I came up with what I call

The dodge wall.

"I did go out and saw a fight for sure!" Before he could ask anything else, I quickly put the Dorayaki in front of him and popped off the lid. I had made 8 in all and the delicious aroma was still kinda strong since I had made these this morning.

"I thought you might want these. Emma said they are good, so I made a bunch for you too!"

"Y/n..." Mikey began, but Emma cut him off by taking a dorayaki from the container and munching on it immediately.

"Emma those are mine! She literally just gave it to me." He pouted once he saw she had no other intention but to polish off the one she had, he grabbed another and gave a side glare to her before closing the lid again.

He kept pouting for about 1.2 seconds after he had taken a bite of his favorite sweet. I had a sudden thought, "Oh, I'll get you guys some soda." I turned on my heels to go to the fridge while doing a deep sigh of relief in the depths of my soul.

Crisis averted. Sorry Mikey. I hate not being able to tell you.

I had only turned for maybe a minute and came back to him only having 4 left in the container. One in each hand.

I quickly did the math.

"Emma, did you eat more???"

She started laughing and shook her head. "He won't let me now."

I stared at Mikey and he stared right back with chipmunk cheeks before saying, "why are you staring at me. It's rude." He cut his eyes at me as he took another bite.

"I just wanted to know what you think. I can tell you like them, but if you want, I'll make sure to always have some for you!" I said with a bright smile.

He had managed to have red bean paste on his cheek and without thinking, I grabbed a napkin and came closer to gently wipe it off his face. I thought maybe I missed some when I noticed none was coming off but the spot was still red.

Cue my brain to finally start back up to shout WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!?

I looked up and

SO CLOSE!!!!!

"Ss...sorry, I just wanted to..." I took a leap back banging my hip on the counter behind me in the process.

Emma started snickering at my complete lack of composure.

Why do you hate me Em? I swear I am gonna die of embarrassment for real one day! I'm just going to take deep breaths and stare at my feet until I can calm down.

"I want more."

My doe eyes shot up to meet Mikeys'. I thought I would see a condescending smirk, or even hear a mocking tone.

He has the most beautiful smile I have ever seen.

Badump

"Sure, Mikey. I'll make sure I always have some for you."

Mikey stared at her. She's so beautiful. I can't help to think she is hiding something from me, but even still, I trust her.

Badump.

"Um, anyway, how are you guys today? Anything cool or fun happen?"

Emma began telling me about her day and I would listen intently. If there was anything she seemed sad about, I would do my best to comfort her.

"My math teach must hate me. I can't ever seem to get a passing grade in that class!" She spoke with angry disappointment.

"First of all," I quickly interjected. "No way, no how could anyone hate you unless they hate awesome people. Second of all, don't say that around Mikey, because he'd believe you and get arrested for assaulting school staff." I said with a light giggle.

"Hey! That's way too on point Y/n!" He says with a mocked hurt voice before smiling. We laughed and it felt so good to see Emma laugh from her heart.

Looking at Mikey was an accident. Our eyes met again.

Why do I feel so..

I feel so...

Warm.