Puzzles and Cowardice

Chifuyu's POV

He's been listening to Takemitchy be so indifferent to everything only for him to suddenly care like he supposedly did before. He didn't hold it against him. Everyone has their issues. Still sucked.

Even so, he wanted to help him to relax in some way. He could tell Takemitchy was really stressed about something and needed a way to think and relax.

The time was well spent when Takemitchy suddenly blurts out that he can go to the future.

He listened to him talk and explain what he had witnessed. He believed Takemitchy and even let him know how much he respected him for what he had been trying to do all this time. There was, however, something he only touched on that he needed to know more about.

"You told me that a woman I loved was shot before I was?" He calmly questioned.

When he was greeted with nervous silence, he began thinking back on what Takemitchy said. That the woman he loved had been in hiding. That he had been keeping her whereabouts hidden because her life was in danger. He had one more question.

Chifuyu let out a sad sigh. "Was it Y/n?"

When Takemitchy started crying again, he hated himself. Due to his carelessness, she gets killed with him. By Kisaki of all people. As if he didn't want to kill this guy already for what he did to Baji.

As they continued to talk everything out, he began thinking about Y/n, and the more he did, the more he wondered if the best thing he could do to keep her safe, was to stay away.

He remembered her tears and his promise. He promised to never leave her. He couldn't lose her too.

Wait...

Chifuyu began running through the last time he had seen her. She had been sobbing to the point of hiccups saying he died and she couldn't save him.

"Uh...Chifuyu?" Takemitchy trying to get his attention brought him back, but he was so confused. She couldn't be like Takemitchy. Right?

She got shot. She died. So why...

"Hey Takemitchy, do you know if Y/n is like you?"

Takemitchy's eyes blew wide at that question. "I don't think so. But I never really spent a lot of time with her. Especially after what happened with her and Mikey..."

Chifuyu nodded in understanding, but knew this is something they needed to know.

Chifuyu looked up at the sky for a moment before turning to Takemitchy to explain to him what happened with Y/n that night.

Y/n's POV

Standing in front of Baji's grave, I couldn't do more but be silent for what felt like hours. I failed at saving him and no apology in the world could make up for that. Not to him. Not to Chifuyu. Never to Mikey.

The memories of the last time we saw each other swirled into my mind like a heavy fog. The pain was there, but it's getting harder to see it...

I sat in front of his grave trying to come up with the words. Not just for him, but for me too. A way to convince myself that I can and will keep going.

"Baji, Chifuyu misses you. Mikey does, too." I muttered. I let out a tired sigh. "You and Mikey are so much alike. Both strong with muscles, but also so very hardheaded." I chuckled at all the memories of Mikey not listening to Draken or really anyone. All those times I would giggle at his childlike behavior when it came to Dorayaki. Especially if someone kept him from getting some.

"You know, Mikey would tell me about how he would always beat you when it came to fighting, but you never gave up." I felt my throat become dry but kept going.

"Baji, I feel so strange. I haven't seen Chifuyu in a few days and Yamagishi hides when he has been hurt in a fight." I let out a shakey breath. "Don't worry though. I promise I won't stop trying to save them. Either I'll save them, or I'll die trying."

With that, I pushed myself up and limped off, unaware of a pair of black eyes wishing I'd turn and see him again.