Confession & the Grave

Chifuyu did offer to take me home as we all went our separate ways, but he seemed in deep thought most of that time.

When we got to my door, I turned and smiled at him to say my goodbye, but as soon as I did so, he brought his forehead to lean against mine.

"I'm not always stupid. I know you love Mikey. But I can't help wondering..if maybe...there's someone else you love, too?"

Someone else.... I love?

"I just need to know...please." His words came out like a plea.

Is that...even possible? In all of this, from the beginning until now, I hurt more and more. But with Chifuyu...I don't feel pain at all. Even that first night, I remember I felt....safe.

...Is he asking because....

"Why...do you need to know...?" My question hung in the air without an answer for what felt like forever. The longer it hung out there, the more I realized how foolish I must be again.

Another Mikey situation...I guess I'm not the kind of girl guys really want...

I did my best to plaster a smile on and swallow the lump in my throat. "You should go home, Chifuyu. You've had a long day and I know you're tired. You'll feel better tomorrow."

As I started closing my door, it got jammed. I glanced down to see he had put his foot in the way before the door could shut.

Chifuyu's POV

I can't not tell her. I need her to know..

"Because I love you. I love you. I've loved you all this time. I know you're hurting. I know he hasn't even told you where you both stand even now, and I hate it."

Everything is flowing out like a waterfall. It's now or never.

The door opened wider, but he couldn't bring his eyes to meet hers.

"Ever since that night, I knew. I didn't want to put you on the spot, but if I don't say anything now, I'm gonna go crazy..."

He did his best to slow his breathing but kept going. "There's no way we could know even a third of what you've been trying to do. Even before I knew time leaping existed, I knew I loved you. I should've stayed by your side, but I just...."

The feeling of warm hands on either side of his face made it impossible to put off looking up at her any longer. Looking at her he felt his heart burst.

She's smiling...at me...

"You did. You always stay by my side."

He moved closer to her. "So, does that mean... I have a chance?"

He could feel his heart beating out of his chest and couldn't help but look from her eyes to her lips.

"Always."

That was all he needed to close the distance, kissing her like his life depended on it. Feeling her arms wrap around his neck was the best feeling. The simple movement alone made him want more.

He pulled away just long enough to add one thing. "It's Chifu. Not Chifuyu. It's always Chifu, to you."

An unfamiliar feeling spiked through his very soul as he saw tears streaming down her cheeks even as she smiled. He brought his hands to her face to wipe away her tears and felt his heart jolt when she leaned into his touch.

"I didn't want to think about it. I didn't want to hope and be hurt again, Chifu." She whispered while still leaning against him.

I get it now. She was afraid...

It took all he had to pull away from her. He decided it was best to leave soon after to not rush her. He never wanted to make her feel like she had to do things because he wanted to.

But man, leaving her after that just plain sucked.

He decided to make a trip to Baji's grave to pay his respects. He sat in silence for a long time, going over the events from then until now.

"I bet you're calling me an idiot. Of all the girls, I fall in love with this one." He laughed a little. "I wouldn't have it any other way."