Confidence and a Cold Truth

We sat at the table listening to the mole Kisaki had pulled up to "help" Takemitchy and Chifuyu. I had sat at the inside next to Hanma as the discussion went on, and Chifuyu immediately decided he would sit next to me. I made sure not to be too weird, but sitting around this many guys at once and this close was really overwhelming.

I hadn't been around so many so often since...well a while now. I found myself playing with my fingers as a distraction. Chifuyu reached under the table and placed one of his hands over mine and gave them a squeeze. I smiled at the simple gesture.

"Not like we're gonna eat ya, babe." Hanma mumbled. "How you gonna help people if you are afraid of them?" He finished that and looked at me from the corner of his eye.

"Maybe this is normal for you, but being this close to a bunch of guys for this long is not a normal thing, every day thing for me. So back off so I can think of anything else!" The last bit came out a little higher pitched than I meant for it to, and Kisaki was quick to throw an annoyed look our way.

Hanma had to add one final thought. "You used to though, right? When Mikey cared?"

"I swear if you don't shut the hell up, Hanma.." Chifuyu spat out. It didn't matter though. He wasn't wrong.

I've tried so hard to forget, but it gets brought up and it hurts all over again.

I shook my head and tried to go back to planning next steps.

I remember someone is going to show up here...

I was suddenly yanked out of my thought when I heard mention of a rat. I look up and make direct eye contact with...

"Bunch of dudes sharing one girl?" He stuck out his tongue and I should've kept my mouth shut. But it was already a weird day, and I couldn't hold the words from coming out of my mouth.

"Well, you know what they say, sharing is caring."

DID I REALLY JUST?!?!?!?

He blinked a few times before walking off laughing to himself. I wanted to put my head through a wall. When you get jerks to laugh, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I let my head hit the table with a loud thud.

Hanma let out a loud and somehow genuine laugh. "Sharing is caring, huh?"

"Shut up, Shuji!"

"Uh...Y/n..."

"PLEASE don't say it, Chifu. Just let me die in peace." I practically squeaked out.

I sat trying to bid the earth swallow me whole as they had their talk about helping each other.

When did I get so sassy and bold!??!?

AND HOW DO I GIVE IT BACK?!?!?!

I couldn't help but feel angry for Chifuyu. He hates this more than he lets us know.

As we separated temporarily, Hanma looked at me like he wanted to say something. I'm not sure what to say, so I smiled. He shook his head and followed after Kisaki.

Even with everything he and Kisaki have done and will keep trying to do, there's never been a broken heart that immediately made the right decisions. Sometimes they never do. Even still..

I looked after them. "I really wanna smack those two!"

"Me too." Takemitchy mumbled.

"Come on, Y/n." I felt Chifuyu grab my wrist and pull me with them. His face was incredibly serious, and sad. I'm sure he is upset that I am trying to be kinder to the ones who got Baji killed.

I reached down to where his hand was gripping my wrist and moved so we are now holding hands. He nearly fell over and his eyes jumped up to mine as if trying to figure out something.

His attention snapped back to Takemitchy as they argued about working with Kisaki. Once Takemitchy made his point, Chifuyu sighed out in defeat. I squeezed his hand that was still in mine.

"We can do it, Chifu." I smiled when I felt him give my hand a squeeze back.

We made our way back to meet Kisaki and Hanma to let them know. Chifuyu had tried to convince me to go home. I said sure, once we're done here, he can take me.

I ended up leaning against the railing between Hanma and Chifuyu.

When Hanma started throwing names out into the wind, I had to look at him with a raised eyebrow when he said 'team kill'em all'.

"What? You don't think it's catchy?" He winked.

"No, not unless it's you first." I joked. Hanma blinked several times and I started laughing.

"An undercover brat, huh?" he commented with a light laugh.

I suddenly felt Chifuyu pull me closer to his side. I didn't hesitate to lay my head on his shoulder.

"You can keep whatever name you want, I still hate you both." Chifuyu confidently stated.

Hanma laughed out loud. "So we keep the name and you keep the girl? Oh dear, what would Mikey say?"

I felt him freeze by my side.