Emilie's Legacy

To say that the whole preparation had been a mess and a total chaos, would be the understatement of the century. But somehow they managed, to get everything done in time.

Gabriel had gone upstairs, while Hélène had handed Valentine to her fiance, then been to her room to freshen up a bit too. After she was done, she had checked on Adrien, Nick and the babies shortly, before she had ordered her sister in law, who was trying to help the men, who still hadn't fully succeeded with the baby bed, and held a cordless screwdriver in one and a hammer in the other hand, while Louis was rocking Tom and Jasmin on his shoulder and Marion held the parts of the furniture in place.

Laughing Leni blurted out:

"That's hilarious! Adrien! Aren't you ashamed to let your wife, who gave birth only a couple of days ago, build your child's cot? And you, Nick? Where's Val? I thought, you were supposed to watch her!"

The men looked at one another sheepishly.

"Well, Louis is busy with the babies and he's the only one of us, who can work with this thing!", Adrien lamented, pointing at the screwdriver, as if it was contagious.

His sister shook her head and turned to her fiance.

"What's your excuse?"

Nick pulled her into his arms and kissed her firmly.

"My mum and sister are here! They wanted to spend some time with Valentine, before Elise has to go back to... you know!"

"Oh uhm, of course. I am happy she came here too. If you don't mind, I will take Marinette with me and we say 'hi' quickly, before we go into her office. You're coming, Nette?"

The older woman agreed and placed the tools on the floor.

"Do you want to join us?", she asked Marion, holding out a hand to her.

The young mother glimpsed at her partner, who gave her an encouraging smile.

"Just go, I'll get along!", he whispered, to not wake the children, who had just gone to sleep, up again.

Adrien's face showed panic, as he watched them leave.

"What now?", he asked, looking at his first born son.

"Maybe we can help?", came Emma's voice through the door.

He turned his head, seeing his daughter and his sister Michelle enter the room.

"Why?", he desperately whined, "why are my children and siblings so much more talented and skilled, when it comes to building things? I can't even hit a nail with the hammer without hurting myself!"

"Maybe that is something, children inherit from their mother!", Nick proposed, "I mean, your children inherited the skills from Marinette and your siblings from Nathalie! Your talent was to look pretty and be able to act and model!"

The teenagers broke into a guffaw, hearing him say it like that.

"Yeah, so funny! So that's what the reporters always called Emilie's Legacy, when I was still a kid. Splendid!"

Still giggling, the two girls picked up the things from the floor and started working.

"What's the matter with Nick's sister, Leni?", Marinette questioned as soon, as they were out of the room.

Hélène shook her head.

"I promised Nick, to not tell any of you!", she wearily told her.

"Leni? What's wrong? You know, you can trust Marion and me, as we're the only ones, beside your mum, who don't spread it immediately to everyone in this mansion!", the older female asked with concern.