Part 40 - Valentine's Reunion

It was the Sunday before Valentine's day and Gabriel tried to figure out something very special to do for Nathalie, as she was now almost 28 weeks pregnant and had been put on bed rest for the last week after having had a couple of early contractions that were more than just Braxton-Hicks.

Her doctor had been very concerned and had tried to convince her to go into the hospital to be under observation.

But Gabriel had quickly agreed with his fiancée, that she would stress out far less, if she was to stay at their bed instead of somewhere else.

And he had made arrangements with her doctor, to have her looked after at the mansion, so he could be with her most of the time and even let her do a little bit of work, so she wouldn't feel guilty to have him work late into the night.

Right now he was desperate, as all his ideas had something to do with leaving the bed or the house. Sadly the rumours, that had come up recently, spread by none other than Amélie Graham de Vanily, had been the main cause for the premature labour.

So even if she was allowed to get up for that day, he wouldn't want to face any situation, that might lead to a confrontation with any of the reporters or paparazzi, who were lurking around the grounds since that last lie had been spread.

Nathalie had started to keep him at distance again and that pained him a lot. After they had become so close, and had even started to make real wedding plans, that abomination of a human being had struck with her long planned revenge.

After talking with the Dupain-Chengs about the actual situation, they had quickly agreed, that it was for the best, to send the teenagers to Shanghai, to live with Sabine's mother until everything here in Paris had calmed down and the young couple wasn't in danger of any attacks any longer.

Every time he thought about, how close it had been, when that stranger had tried to run them over with his car. Another obviously mentally ill man had tried to attack them with a knife and had wounded the Gorilla who had shielded the adolescents with his own body.

And then there was this creepy person sneaking around the mansion all the time. He wasn't a reporter or a photograph of any sort though. He never tried to take pictures or ask any questions. He just appeared and watched the house for some time, to then just walk away. He wore the same long, black leather cloak and the same brown pants, with a pair of dark, dirty work boots every day.

The police couldn't be of any help, because the man wasn't actually doing anything instead standing there.

Gabriel sighed as he turned away from the window and left Nathalie's old room, from where he had the best sight onto the pavement, and walked to their bedroom.

He was happy, that she hadn't yet tried to sleep alone in her old bed, as he had expected, when she had told him, that she again needed some time.

Well, at least she let him hold her at night. Her and the little person in her belly, that instantly cuddled into his hand at the very moment he placed it on the now daily growing bump.

He could hear Nathalie cry almost every night, and even though he wanted to comfort her, to tell her, that everything would turn out to a good ending, he didn't. He just laid there and rubbed her tummy, letting her know he was there.

The designer feared, if he tried to be there for her, he would only push her further away, so he did, what despite everything, that was going on, didn't worsen the situation: Nothing!

As he now quietly opened the door, he could see the woman, that he loved so much, crying once again. He could keep himself from doing anything in the night, when he was already holding her, but this was different.